HOG

Neoprene Foam

Been lurking here for a few weeks...the tutorials have been great on seat making. I have my fiberglass pan made and purchased 6 to 8OZ leather from Tandy while on vacation to the Pittsburgh area last week.

Now I need foam...I've contacted the Foam and More folks about previous orders for Neoprene for bike seats; they say most builders use 1/2" to 1" foam and carve it out to their liking.

I was thinking 2" would be the the right thickness for a softail style seat.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Not a pro but will add that its all up to the person making the seat and the preference of the person they are making it for. I have scene everything from 1/4" to 2" for the pan style seats. Go with what you think you will want.

You could also when you order it get just 1" and double it up if you think you want it thicker. Using some M77 or similer the neoprene will stick to each other very very well.

I use 1/2 inch foam and then layer it (with spray adhesive) to get the thickness I want. By using the thinner foam you can contour it to the seat better. So, you glue your first layer to the pan, and then keep glueing on layers until you get there, then cut the foam to fit the shape and then carve it to get the contours you want.

Great info guys! I think I'm sold on the 1/2" and layer as I go. I'll post pics as I have them. Thanks again...

Hog, if you don't already have a supplier, I'd recommend these guys, and get the high quality grade - it carves and shapes beatifully

http://www.closedcellfoams.com/neoprene.html

Hog, if you don't already have a supplier, I'd recommend these guys, and get the high quality grade - it carves and shapes beatifully

http://www.closedcellfoams.com/neoprene.html

I second that place. Did me good with what I ordered from them. Top quality stuff.

Thanks for the link! I'll be buying from them this morning. 1/2 sheet should be plenty?

anything over 1" and the seat will have to be wet molded.

Contact Roger on this site for a place to buy foam for wet molding

I'm the guy who builds seats for old school bikes. My seats are all springer style seats. I use the thin stuff.

You are looking for a frame mounted seat for a softail. You will need to wet mold a seat like that.

David Theobald

David - I planned on wet-molding this seat, do I need to use something other than Neoprene?

Neoprene will work fine for wet molding. I make wet molded seats & solos like Davids. The neoprene I get from foam n more works fine for all seats I've done.

Like outcast said the neoprene will work fine. Neoprene is what outdoor furniture manufactures use for their cushions. It is also what boat manufacturers use for their cushions.... so water will not stay in neoprene.

David Theobald