RMB Custom Leather

Help! With A Repair On A Case

I have been asked to repair this antique gun case and try keeping the appearance matching as close as possible. What type of sewing machine would sew this? I am assuming some type of machine that sews shoes. I don't think I can help him with my class 3 or even hand sewing the way it is put together. If anyone has some information on where to point my customer that would help like the type of machine needed and who may have one would be great.

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

...A lot of Hand Sewing will be required to bring that back to life...

It's all hand sewing..I have repaired quite a few and some of the problems

is that the leather is so dryed out the stiches just pull thru..........

There are at least two sewing machines needed to repair this gun case. It was assembled on a Puritan high post chainstitch machine, using waxed heavy linen thread.

At the very least, you will need a long arm (18"), "large" bobbin, Adler or Singer patcher, capable of sewing with #138 bonded nylon, or 4 cord linen thread. A Puritan high post machine would be nice, but you probably don't have one, or you wouldn't be asking about what to use. Otherwise, you might be able to sew replacement stitches using a 25" Cowboy CB5500, with triple feed.

Several dealers on the forum and private probably have the long arm patchers for sale.

By the pictures I wouldn't get this close to a machine. It would eat it up.

IMO it could only be done by hand and even then it might be too much trama for the leather as Luke says.

It would take a very delicate and sure hand, and even then...

I'll pass, thank you. A disappointed customer is better than a mad one.

By the pictures I wouldn't get this close to a machine. It would eat it up.

IMO it could only be done by hand and even then it might be too much trama for the leather as Luke says.

It would take a very delicate and sure hand, and even then...

I'll pass, thank you. A disappointed customer is better than a mad one.

Thats what I was thinking. If anyone is intrested in this repair job let me know I will pass him onto you.

Build a replica/duplicate, maybe....Joining the consensus, I don't think that is repairable.

All you need is long hemostats, new pieces, backstitch, and a lot of patience. As long as the body is ok and you don't have to work on the part that holds the handle, it can be done.

Kevin

Anyone intrested in the job I am looking for someone to do it for my customer? I am to busy to take on this type of repair, would be glad to pass it onto someone who can.

i realize that this is an old thread, but what ever happened with this? looking at this, i would have been remotely interested in doing this.....by hand. but it wouldn't be cheap.

wiz - this thread made me laugh. it shows that you really know your machines. i wouldn't know a puritan high post chain stitch machine if it fell on me.

Edited by ramrod

wiz - this thread made me laugh. it shows that you really know your machines. i wouldn't know a puritan high post chain stitch machine if it fell on me.

You would certainly become familiar with it quickly, as it crushed most of your bones. Puritan machines are made of American iron and steel and weigh a LOT.

You would certainly become familiar with it quickly, as it crushed most of your bones. Puritan machines are made of American iron and steel and weigh a LOT.

LMAO! That's the funniest thing I have read all day!