Rossr

Consew 226

Gents, I have the chance to pickup a consew 226 It is as near as I can tell an older machine. Needs some cosmetic cleanup. Is this of any use for leather. I found it is a walking foot and it picksup 1/2 inch. It looks a lot like a 206 to me. Just looking for some opinions on it I have a tech sew 1/3 hp clutch motor. Not sure it would work but I have it. The reason I have that motor is due to a us blind stitch machine I bought at auction for the massive sum of $7 dollars. I have no use for a blind stitch bt couldn't pass up a table and a motor at that price. Thanks for any thoughts Ross

It should sew up to 20 oz(5/16") of leather & use #138 thread easily.Parts,needles & feet are real easy to get.

00909_lUnrBFEDr40_600x450.jpgOk gang here is what I picked up. It is a 226 I paid $75 dollars for. IT needs cleaned up and is missing part of the foot. I am betting as I go over I will find more things it needs. I couldn't pass it up for that kind of money. I had just passed on a 206r at auction that went for $650. I welcome opinions and Bob do you sell parts?Ross

I'd buy them all day long for that price!! Yes,we have parts for it.

Bob, It needs work mostly cleanup and cosmetic and then I will see what I really got but that kinda price I just had too. Guy wasn't sure motor worked but I lookedat the motor off the blind stitch is actually a 1/2 hp tech sew clutch motor darn near brand new so I am looking good. I know very little about sewing machines(yes I see you sewing machine gurus cringing :) ) but mechanical I am pretty good I have redone two landis G and a 29-4 and all are working fine so far :) so just another adventure at a good price Ross

I love my 226, and as long as you take it easy it can sew #277 thread, just watch the bobbin, as it does not hold a lot of heavy thread so just keep an eye on it with long runs. Since the machine is such a steal, once you are certain all is right with it, I would fit a servo motor. Much easier to control than a clutch, and while you can learn to control a clutch motor, i can get 1/2 stitch level of control.

I fit a heavy foot plate and feed dog, which has a larger hole in it which is more forgiving when dealing with leather and the inevitable needle bending. This does however present a blackhole that can suck in very light weight fabric, but this is not a machine for sewing silk.

I really like mine as you might have guessed.

Never would have guessed you liked yours. :) I got into it tonight and it is cleaning up really well so far. I found the other part of the walking foot along with lots of types of walking feet...bad news looks like water was an issue on part of this machine.. ie the motor and the drawer. The drawer where the accessories including all the feet was wet and goopy, I cleaned them up and will see if they are any good. while I am sure the base and motor etc were drowned the head I don't thing was just dirty and perhaps over oiled. The dark areas cleaned off with some elbow grease and simple green. Undead thanks for the comment on the feed plate and what you do I started thinking about what I need for that tonight. If you guys cant tell I am excited...well I am Ross

I have access to a Consew 226. The club I belong to has one. The trouble I am having is changing the stitch length. When depressing the table button closest to the needle, turning the wheel toward me and the button drops and is engaged. Then the wheel fails to turn properly to setup a different stitch length. The machine clutch goes out (won't run the needle and walking foot). I need to re-engage the clutch every time using the button closest to the wheel.

This machine is the 226, not the 226 R-1. The stitch length indicator is located under a movable plate on the top of the arm. There is a witness hole on the side of the arm through which you can observe the numbers for stitches per inch. When the "Q" button (according to the manual) is depressed and catches, the wheel won't continue to rotate and change the "numbers". It only throws the machine's clutch and needs to be re-set.

Any help, please.

I suggest it needs a service.

How hard is the wheel to turn when to notch in the button? It should be quite easy. If it is so hard as to trip the clutch, then you have a seized part.

If it is easy to turn the wheel when the button in pressed the the clutch might be the problem. Does the clutch ever open when sewing?

Send it to a mech.

Tony

I received an excellent bit of advice from Cowboy Bob. He has a commercial sewing business in Ohio.

The reason the clutch is popping out when trying to adjust the stitch length; it's already at the lowest level of adjustment, i.e. 5. The machine cannot adjust any lower. That's why the clutch is popping to prevent any damage to the drive mechanism.

Therefore, we need to adjust the stitch length by depressing the button and turning the wheel "AWAY" from us, not toward us. The manual does not mention any of this.

Hi Folks, So I have found time to get back to messing around with the 226. Here is where I am at after replacing a few minor parts I cant get the thing to stitch. Here is the problem the loop off the needles isn't very loop like and the hook off the bobbin is not catchin it. I cant figure it out. I am trying to use 92 thread and I tried a size 18 needle and a size 19 needle. I don't know if it is a needle issue or a timing issue or what. I am open to thoughts. I think I am going to have to find a mechanic to check it over and see what the deal is and fix it. I don't think anything is broken I just think I cant see the issue might be. On a side note anyone else not able to use then enter key when doing a forum post. mine doesn't work on the forum but on anything else it is fine?? Take care Ross

Ok I punted. Found a sewing machine repair and dropped it off today. Will see what happens!!!R

Always a point when it's time for the pros to do their thing! Let us know how she cleans up.

Well folks I got the machine back from the pro and it was well worth it. Sewing like a champ now. Well worth the $75 charge. So today I worked on building a speed reducer with pulleys. Now even with the clutch motor I think I have it slowed down enough to be useful for my amateur abilities. So for even with the $75 charge I am into this adventure around$180 I don't think I can complain too much about that. In fairness the speed reducer I built with pulleys and bearings I had laying around. I also have a metal lathe at my disposal to build the shaft I needed. But all in all I am real happy with the machine now