Does anyone know what to add to Fiebings dyes to make them lighter? In particular Id like to the make the Mahogony dye lighter. I thought about adding isopropyl alcohol but im not sure if this would work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Yes, I have heard that adding rubbing alcohol to thin works with spirit based dyes.

There is a reducer made for that. Made by Fiebing's, though I doubt it matters. Here's a link for Tandy, but I"m sure it's sold at any of the suppliers. Some of my colors are like 35:1 mix ...

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Liquids/Dyes/2103-115.aspx?feature=Product_5

I find that methylated spirit (denatured alcohol in the US) works fine. Smells better than the Fiebings reducer, and much cheaper!

Odin,

I used isopropyl [rubbing alcohol ] to thin dye... ONCE>>>> I ruined the project. I spoke with several senior leather workers who told me DON"T use the stuff. They all recommended de-natured alcohol for thinning dyes.

Happy tooling

Tim

I thought that Denatured was the same as isopropyl. Im glad I asked!. Thanks for the tips.

I asked the metalurgist at work and he's going to give me some denatured alcohol to try. :)

I learn something new every day:)

Hi Tim & Odin,

I may hate to say this but I've been using Rubbing Alcohol for about 30 years now, to thin my Spirit dyes. Tim when you say it ruined something,,, what happened? I've never had any problems at all,,, now you've got me wondering. Here are a few things I've done using Rubbing Alcohol thinned Spirit dyes. Ed the"BearMan"

round 2 it 6.jpg

round 2 it 3.jpg

Mom L New Bible cover 2.jpg

Moms  Checkbook complete6.jpg

post-7175-126347532411_thumb.jpg

post-7175-126347534811_thumb.jpg

post-7175-126347544894_thumb.jpg

post-7175-126347550506_thumb.jpg

I may hate to say this but I've been using Rubbing Alcohol for about 30 years now, to thin my Spirit dyes.

Why would you hate to say that, Ed? I'll probably keep using the denatured stuff, since that's what's in the dye, but it's great to know there is more than one thing that will reduce it. Knowing that may come in handy in a pinch. Thanks for speaking up.

Kate

Hi Tim & Odin,

I may hate to say this but I've been using Rubbing Alcohol for about 30 years now, to thin my Spirit dyes. Tim when you say it ruined something,,, what happened? I've never had any problems at all,,, now you've got me wondering. Here are a few things I've done using Rubbing Alcohol thinned Spirit dyes. Ed the"BearMan"

Dye or no dye, alcohol or Methyl...(I prefere Tecquila) I just thought the fumes blew me away...then I realized it is the awesome carving and the flow of colors you do!!!

Well maybe it is the Tecquila, but I like it!!!

Since I use spirit dye I will try both and see what it does....( Then have some Tecquila...haha...)

Thanks for great post!!

James

Ed

I had made several ohm meter cases and they wanted them dyed brown. I started running low on dye and thought I would thin the dye for the last case. I thinned the dye with rubbing alcohol, then daubed on the dye to the leather. After it all dried, the case shrunk and appeared burned. These were the days before my air brush. Now, I use only de-natured alcohol to thin and spray all my large one color items. I spray all my belts with the new mixture and never have problems.

Ed, you've got some awe some work there. your application is quiet different that what I did.

Happy tooling

Tim

Edited by TimKleffner

FWIW - Like Ed I've been using Isopropyl aka rubbing alcohol for 40+ years as dyw thinner/suface cleaner and have had no ill effects. According to the Fiebing MSDS the dye contains ethanol (from which denatured alcohol is made), isopropyl, and methanol.....

Edited by ChuckBurrows

Me 3. I've use isopropyl alcohol to reduce spirit dyes and oil dyes. It's always worked fine for me.

I have made a few projects using Fiebing's applied with a dauber. I could never get the even, streak free job I wanted.

I put some denatured alcohol in a plastic pan and added dye until it looked like what I wanted on a couple of pieces of scrap. Dipped seven pieces and ruined four projects. Some came out too light, some way too dark and some had light spots and speckles.

I don't know if or how I can salvage these as I have put in quite a bit of work on them. Any info on treating the leather before dipping to get an even, consistent job? How about ideas/info on salvaging my work?

Wanabe, I hate the pieces are ruined, but most projects are salvagable. I always used isopropyl alcohol to thin my Feibings dyes. I now use Angelus dyes and haven't looked back since and I still thin with alcohol. Now for the leather prep. I always put the pure neats-foot to it before dyeing as it seems to even out the color. JMHO.. Semper-fi Mike

Interesting responses.......MarineMP....I do opposite of you. I lightly wet my leather before applying my Fiebing's dye and haven't had any streaks. After the dye dries, I apply a light coat of oil and let it sit overnight or most of the day before I continue.

Another question: is Feibings Pro Oil Dye suitable for bracelets and belts?