HARVEY

New Fiebings "Fabulous Finishes" Book

Has anybody bought Fiebings' new book? Straight up -- how is it: good bad, so-so, spend the 15 bucks or save your money? Feedback, please.

Harvey

Los Angeles

Harvey,

I heard last night it was so-so, probably better if you use a color in your work. It would should be OK to have, considering the changes in the chemicals recently and more to come. I'd like to hear from someone that has one to see if it is worth the bucks, or something Feibings should have put out for downloads. The impression I got was kind of like being held hostage. "We have new stuff, and for $15 or whatever, here's how to use them".

Harvey,

I heard last night it was so-so, probably better if you use a color in your work. It would should be OK to have, considering the changes in the chemicals recently and more to come. I'd like to hear from someone that has one to see if it is worth the bucks, or something Feibings should have put out for downloads. The impression I got was kind of like being held hostage. "We have new stuff, and for $15 or whatever, here's how to use them".

Bruce:

Here is a quick review.

The book is written by Tony & Kay Laier

If you are experienced at using color in your work this may not be the book for you. On the other hand if you are just learning or want a reference for the Fiebing's line of dyes and finishes trhe book is worthwhile.

[/size]

I have How to Color Leather and Coloring Leather by Al Stohlman as well as Peter Main's The Main Technique of Coloring Leather. I am also just beginning to work with colors so this may sway my perspective.

[/size]

I found the Fiebing's book useful. In addition to reviewing the full line of Fiebing's products it added some well illustrated information not found in the other references. in the area of using resists (blocking) in finishing and coloring leather.

This is a Table of Contents

Leather Dyes: Alcohol, Oil & Water Based

Overall Coloring Techniqes

Brush Selection & Care

Background Dyeing

Wet Brushing

Shading with Diluted Hues

Dry Brushing

Highlighting

Demos with Fiebing's Products

Coloring an Oak Leaf

Coloring a Floral

Coloring a Figure & Pictorial Scene

Monochrome Coloring (A Horse Head)

Acrylic Colors

Antiques

Applicators For Antiques and Stains

Special Effect: Base Coat Antiquing

How to Do Base Coat Antiquing

Special Effects: Resists (Blocking)

Using Resists On Natural (Undyed) Leather

Using Resists On Dyed Leather

Beeswax and Leathercraft Cement

Top Finishes

Prepare Your Workspace

Applying A Topfinish

A summary of Fiebing's Top Finishes

Edge Finishing

A Summary of Fiebing's Edge Finishes

Selecting the right Applicator

How to Finish an Edge

Leather Care

A Summary of Fiebing's oils products

A Summary of Fiebing's Conditioners products

A Summary of Fiebing's Soaps products

Color Dye charts for all Fiebing's Dyes.

Compatibility Chart

If you want detailed information on color mixing and brush technique the Stholman Books are better. Peter Main's Book does the best job of addressing the use of Alcahol based dyes, the layered application of colors and air brushes.

It should be noted that any of these demos are not product specific. The key is to match the color with the color charts provided with the demo.

Edited by Cecil

Ok, so the book sounds pretty good, especially covering Feibings products, which I would like to know more about anyway, but where can I get this new book???

1-800-558-1033 ask for free shipping...............$15.99