grail

Hot Foil Stamping & Branding Iron

I'm going to get a maker stamp made for shoemaking and thought the electric iron would be a good idea to burn my logo on the sole. Then I thought why not use the maker stamp sometimes to mark the inside heel area - but that would be thinner chrome tanned leather and require hot foil debossing. There is a hot stamping machine, but why should I need it if I have a temperature controlled branding iron? Has anyone here used an electric branding iron for hot foil debossing? Below is the weblink to the heating iron, and yes it does get to a high enough controlled temperature. So I am guessing the concern would be holding the iron steady and knowing how long to keep it in place. Thanks in advance for any input.

http://brandingirons.com/product-category/buy-it-now/ready-2-brand-packages/

I think the amount of pressure you can apply is going to play a role in this. Every hot stamping machine I've seen (all two that I've seen at book stores, and the rest on google searches) has some sort of high pressure device. The stamp head is either gear driven, cammed, or pneumatic....which indicates that significant force is involved somewhere in the process.

I have often thought about building a temperature controlled branding iron mounted in some type of a press.. If I remember recently there was a fella on the forum from outside the US that had built one with pictures. It looked like it was working pretty well for him.