DavidL

Hermann Oak Vs. Wicket And Craig Vs Rjf Leather

Best supplier of regular vegtan (consistency, no marks)  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which leather supplier do you believe to be the best quality

• Wicket and craig
    • Hermann Oak
    • Rjf leather
    • chahin
    • other

Tooling leather A grade -

Which has the

best Feel

most even consistency

most blemish free, clean leather

best flesh side

I had my mind set on Wicket and craig leather as they are the only tannery out of the three that wants to process my order and ship it to Canada. RJF hasn't replied but their leather in the pictures are completely blemish free and are the best looking leathers I have seen online (HO and WC doesnt have any pictures up close). Only issue is I don't have the pricing for RJF or know if they split leather down to 3.5 oz like Wicket and craig.

Which leather do you prefer HO, WC or RJF? Why?

In your opinion is WC the same quality as RJF leather??

Which tannery does RJF get their leather?

In the end are all 3 leathers comparable when comparing the grade A leathers, all with ZERO blemishes?

Edited by DavidL

I just ordered some RJF in different weights. Never used it before, and haven't got the order in yet. Think it's from Thoroughbred.

I have used a good bit of HO. 6 months ago I would have said it tools and colors well, holds shape, pretty clean. But in that last few months, I've got some HO hides (both "A" and "B") which were WAY less than wonderful. In fact, not even acceptable. Some of it I shipped back. I can live with a blemish. If the leather tools and dyes, I don't mind choppin off a rough spot (long as it isn't across the middle).

The W&C, which I haven't ordered in a couple of years but am thinking about going back to, was always "tighter" (grain AND flesh sides). It tools and forms a little harder than the HO, but once shaped it stays that way. And yes, they'll split it to the weight you want.

HO runs

$7.22 at HO

$8.32 at Goliger, and

$8.99 at SLC (wholesale pricing).

THat's for 7/8 sides. Backs or bends would be higher at any of those places by a little more than $1/ft.

RJF has backs from 3/4 to 9/10 at $8.00, bends are $8.90. Those prices just quoted last week, so if the leather is good then they certainly win in the pricing category. Price, as you know, isn't everything.

Sides at W/C are $8.05/ft (top grade), $9.15 for backs. Doin' a little math, figure a 26' side = $209, and cut the belly off you got 20' back = $182. So, if the belly for $25 is worth it to you, might just go on get the side. W/C states currently they are a bit backed up.

Edited by JLSleather

8.90 is a good price for bends, as long as they are blemish free.

For me I would rather have consistency than more average leather.

HO I hear good things mostly and sometimes there are bad reviews maybe 2-3 bad hides out of 200 as a guess.

W/C I haven't read any bad reviews, could be not as many people has bought compared to HO, don't know why since the quality looks to be very similar.

RJF only hear good reviews looks like he sifts through all the A grade leathers and only takes the top of A grade and sells it to the customer.

W/C and RJF are my top choices right now, HO is also hard to get at tannery rates. Horween could be a runner up as the shipping is cheaper and I can order more choices. Haven't heard much about their natural veg tan leather and their grading is rather vague (regular is A grade and B grade or maybe just A grade).

any insight would help.

Weaver has HO natural tooling and Chahin. Wholesale prices for 7/8 are:

HO-$8.55 for 1-4, $8.04 for 5-9, and $7.52 for 10+ sides

Chahin 7/8 is priced per side $192.44 for 1-4, $180.89 for 4-9 and $169.35 for 10+ sides.

Tannery run grade, but their Chahin has always been pretty nice for me.

Those are pretty good prices for H.O are they A grade? can they be split for free to 3.5 oz?

I ordered from RJF...it is very clean #1 leather. $8sf. Drum dyed backs are $8.25 sf

Those are pretty good prices for H.O are they A grade? can they be split for free to 3.5 oz?

They have all weights from 2/3 all the way to 10/11 so you could get a 3/4 for your needs. NOT A grade...tannery run. if you order a side at a time you will get an A or a good B from experience but if you order 5 you will get "tannery run" and grade will vary a bit. Though tannery run on natural tooling seems to be better/cleaner than other finished leather.

hi all,

does anyone buy somehow leather directly from Hermann Oak tannery(not a distributor) ??

hi all,

does anyone buy somehow leather directly from Hermann Oak tannery(not a distributor) ??

I buy leather from the Herman Oak tannery So far i am very happy with the leather I have recieved.

I was thinking about hooking up with my local tack shop. He orders from Hermann Oak directly and I thought maybe I could have him order a few fro me at a time. It is worth a shot to see if a shop in your area will help you out.

I just ordered some RJF in different weights. Never used it before, and haven't got the order in yet. Think it's from Thoroughbred.

By way of update, I did receive the leather from RJF back then, and I will not be placing another order. The leather I received was spongey, loose-grained, heavily wrinkled, and had a LOT of stretch.

I buy leather from the Herman Oak tannery So far i am very happy with the leather I have recieved.

Thanks for your response.

I have filled out contact form two times over this link http://www.hermannoakleather.com/contact-us

But no one from HO give a reply.

Edited by nrk

And that may be because the email link for their contact form is still going to the inbox of a FORMER employee. If you need the direct email address I may still have it, just PM me.

I order from RJF, his bridle leathe is buttery smooth adn beautiful, his drum dyed teather is great. No complaints about quality or service, both were\are great. IF you received a "Bad" side, did you contact RJF and give him chance to make it right?....skip the last part, that is a discussion for another thread.......

I order from RJF, his bridle leathe is buttery smooth adn beautiful, his drum dyed teather is great. No complaints about quality or service, both were\are great. IF you received a "Bad" side, did you contact RJF and give him chance to make it right?....skip the last part, that is a discussion for another thread.......

can you share us the photos of leather you received? would be great to see those!

It is mostly gone, but yes i will try and post a pic this weekend. I beleive I still hav eboth , a brown drum dyed and some bridal.

I have bought leather by the side from Macpherson leather it is beautiful, molds, carves, stamps, wow. Make bridles, belts, etc from this lovely smelling leather. If it smells good! I remember the old tack shops, they always smelled good. Ummm. Beautiful long lasting quality leather. Been using Macpherson for years. Not so much luck with weaver. Not tried others.

On 5/23/2014 at 9:59 AM, leatherman64 said:

Weaver has HO natural tooling and Chahin. Wholesale prices for 7/8 are:

HO-$8.55 for 1-4, $8.04 for 5-9, and $7.52 for 10+ sides

Chahin 7/8 is priced per side $192.44 for 1-4, $180.89 for 4-9 and $169.35 for 10+ sides.

Tannery run grade, but their Chahin has always been pretty nice for me.

Where is Chahin made?

On 10/6/2018 at 2:12 AM, Canberra said:

I have bought leather by the side from Macpherson leather it is beautiful, molds, carves, stamps, wow. Make bridles, belts, etc from this lovely smelling leather. If it smells good! I remember the old tack shops, they always smelled good. Ummm. Beautiful long lasting quality leather. Been using Macpherson for years. Not so much luck with weaver. Not tried others.

Macpherson charges 13+ bucks for the tooling leather.. it's pricee

On 10/6/2018 at 2:16 AM, Canberra said:

Where is Chahin made?

I've read somewhere that in mexico

Edited by nrk