Sign in to follow this  
Chief31794

Thanks To Barry King

Thought I'd take an opportunity to brag on one of our suppliers and supporter or Leatherworker.net. Barry King makes awesome tools, I've used his stamps for years and still absolutely love them. I just made a new acquisition from Barry. I'm getting older, I know, it's hard to believe, but I've been having to hit bag punches and cutoff punches harder and harder to get them through the leather, to the point I am flailing at them. I do sharpen them, it's just I don't swing as hard as I used to, so I tried dead blow hammers, but the faces of them maul up badly pretty quickly. So after pondering this for a while I decided to take my old daddy's advice, "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer", I ordered the 48 oz mallet from Barry and this thing lets me punch leather like I did when I was 20. Beautiful tool as you'd expect from Barry. While ordering I bought his edger sharpener as well, very very nice tool, it is a tapered diamond hone that will sharpen your edgers in a New York minute. Thought I'd post some pictures of some of my BK tools past and present. The mallet is displayed with my carving mallet to demonstrate the size of this thing. Thanks Barry for the great tools you provide the leather workers of the world.

Chief

post-6362-0-74272300-1416168739_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-62491300-1416168741_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-94041100-1416168743_thumb.jp

48oz? Yup. That's a BFH for sure! It sounds like it's just the ticket, tho. As for getting older ... keep on keeping on. The alternative ain't such a good thing.

Glad to hear that BK's tools are still top notch. I've been eying up a tapered round maul at something like 16-20oz for tooling, but haven't quite decided yet.

Bill

I just saw Barry and his tools recently at the Pendleton leather show. Not quite in the market for a poly sledgehammer quite yet but I did get a 10(ish) oz last year.Picked up a decent handfull of new stamps from him this time around. Great guy to deal with. Very pleasant guy even with a hoard of people pointing tools at him asking questions simultaneously.

Horn

I second the endorsement. I have had some custom tools made by Barry and when you get past my poor communication, results have been spot on.

Everything I've ever gotten from him has been perfect and excellent quality. Lovin' the Sledge Hammer, has made my life so much easier.

Chief