thesergeant

Synchronized Binder For Flat Bed Walking Foot Machine

Does anyone know if a synchronized binder setup exists for flatbed machines (specifically a Pfaff 545)?
I saw this video on youtube where someone made a DIY version. Their setup looks really effective and I'm considering making something similar but if a legitimate setup already exists I'd rather pay the money and have something nice.

Seems like with his design he's relying on the forward motion of the inner foot to move binder forward. I don't really like the idea of the two having direct contact like that. I'd add a small pin to the bottom of the swingarm that would drop into the hole in the front of the feeddog to keep the distance fixed and to drive the motion.

Has this been done by anyone? Thoughts?

Making the Binder:

Binder in Action:

post-22996-0-79903600-1410802557_thumb.j

Edited by thesergeant

Google search using your keywords shows a version sold on eBay that looks like it includes a replacement bobbin plate that mounts the feeder:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PFAFF-545-BINDER-SET-SINGLE-FOLD-RIGHT-ANGLE-COMPLETE-/290723344351?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item43b0762fdf

Seller's feedback rating is 99.8% with over 56k feedback. I can't say how well it works but there is a pre-made alternative.

BBB rates seller as A rating with no complaints in the 3 years. Can't ask for more than that. I have no connection to seller btw. Hope this helps.

Edited by JohnOK

Thanks for the reply John! That's actually the same company I purchased the feed dog, needle plate and footset from. I didn't buy that particular kit because I already have a Sailrite right angle binder, which is basically the same setup as shown in the photo. Both of these setups work but position the binder mouth further away from the needle, in a fixed position, so I'm still getting drop off around tight corners.

When I removed one slide plate screw and loosened the other to create a pivot point where the binder mounts to the plate the binder becomes a "synchro binder" in that it moves with the foot (by it rather) and the binder works flawlessly. Problem is the binder and the inner foot are rub on eachother, which I don't want. That's why I was inquiring about a dedicated synchro binder setup.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Edited by thesergeant

I'm also interested to know more about a synchronized binder for a flatbed machine.

I currently have a Juki 1508 with multiple slide plates set up with different 90 degree binder attachments, but it sometimes falls short on inside curves.

Scott