Sign in to follow this  
CustomDoug

Attaching Harness Needle To Waxed Linen Thread ?

I've only been using Nonwaxed linen thread for hand stitching and waxing it up myself before starting. I like it alot but have been considering buying some that is already waxed (because of the various colors that are available). I know I can dye the unwaxed stuff that I already have but right now I'm not sure if I want to add an extra step or two. So, how does one attach the waxed thread to the harness needle? I assume it's different from the nonwaxed thread because of how you taper the ends by scraping the tips with a sharp blade. Or is it done exactly the same way? TIA.

interesting. this ends up with the needle piercing the thread twice. i do that anyways, but in a different way. this taught me something new.

Yea that is basically what I've been doing though I've been tapering the tips as per Al Stohlman's method, with a blade scrapping the end fibers apart. I honestly see no reason that the same couldn't be done with the prewaxed thread. What got me concerned in the first place is what Stohlman says in his book, quote: "Pre-waxed thread is not good, as proper ends can not be made."

Stohlman's method has the needle going through the thread on the working end of the thread and the link above has the needle going through the running end.

Kevin.

oh shoot, you're right.. I missed that.