Skald

Good Leather Cord - Where To Find It?

I have a real problem finding some quality round leather cord (all from these 0,5-1 mm's, up to the real "fleshy" ones on several mm's), both natural and colored. All I find is this glossy looking Asian made leather cords, which look more like plastic than leather. It has some thin finish layer which indeed is quite plastic, after a few days or use that finish is like worn off, and the cord becomes all fuzzy and dull looking. The strength of these are quite dubious too, and at places you can easily snap them off.'

Years ago, you often found these more "fatty"/"waxy" looking cords, which was way more durable. They didn't look that sad-excuse-of-a-cord after a little use, and the strength was way more reliable. Another problem of cheap'o cords, is the dye of them. They shouldn't literally BLEED dye if they get wet, and then end up gray and stiff. So the "waxy" ones, if you get my point.

I would like to know of flat cord too (for lacing), that doesn't have this horrible plastic looking finish. If anybody know of any. I am pretty sure I could start make some cord/lace, but at the moment I feel my precious time is better used for more productive work. :)

Check out Leather Cord USA. Definitely get the sample pack. There is a cost but you can get a small piece if everything they carry. What I did was, after I got the samples, I got smallamounts of whatever looked interesting and did samples to test the wear. Some products work better than others, depending on the aplication. They do have a "Natural" finish cord.

Good luck.

LG

http://www.luckydogleather.com

This leather is amazing. It is by far the most natural, LEATHER-looking lace I've ever seen - it's not waxy or plasticy at all. Depending on what you're going to use it for, though, it does stretch quite a bit. Also, it's pricey, but if you can open a wholesale account the prices are 50% of what is shown. Seriously, I LOVE this leather.

http://www.ninadesigns.com/menu/leather_and_rubber_cord/

If you're looking for just round, high-quality cord, I second the Leather Cord USA recommendation.

Elizabeth