Sign in to follow this  
lightingale

Metal Buckle Discoloured The Leather.. How To Prevent?

I've been using some of the fancy buckles from Tandy on some of my dog collars. It doesn't say what metal it's made of, but it's a silvery colour, so maybe nickel plated?

I've noticed that the buckle leaves an ugly black stain where it touches the leather (see attached photo).

How can this be prevented? Can the black be washed off? Is there a coating or something that can be sprayed in the buckle to prevent this?

I've only used one of them for a collar I made for a family member, and this is the result. I'm concerned about using the same kind of buckle for customer orders.

post-29375-0-10677200-1385230692_thumb.j

Edited by lightingale

Don't see any pictures, actually, but if you're getting a stain from the buckle then it's steel. Use brass buckles and you won't have that.

Whoops, edited the original post to attach the photo.

Is there any way to keep using these buckles? I picked up a few of them and don't want them to go to waste if there is a way to mitigate the issue.

You could probably spray them with lacquer (a few coats), but it will wear off eventually...

Welcome to the wonderful, but sometimes frustrating world of leather. I looked that your picture and I think that may be dirt or gunk. Have you tried wiping it away yet?

If you tried and it didn't come off at all, you are experiencing a chemical reaction between the tannin in the leather and the steel of the buckle... it's permanent. To prevent this on further projects seal the leather with several light coats of one of the "shenes" or resolene allowing them to dry at least 24 hours between coats before you put the buckles on. (some folks will say a shorter time... but give the 24 hours especially if you live in a humid area)

Welcome to the wonderful, but sometimes frustrating world of leather. I looked that your picture and I think that may be dirt or gunk. Have you tried wiping it away yet?

If you tried and it didn't come off at all, you are experiencing a chemical reaction between the tannin in the leather and the steel of the buckle... it's permanent. To prevent this on further projects seal the leather with several light coats of one of the "shenes" or resolene allowing them to dry at least 24 hours between coats before you put the buckles on. (some folks will say a shorter time... but give the 24 hours especially if you live in a humid area)

Thanks for the tip!

I picked up a can of metal lacquer from the hardware store to spray on the buckle. I did use a sealant on the leather (zelikovitz professional topcoat satin finish) but next time I'll layer on a few coats of 50/50 acrylic resolene and water. I also have a can of saddle lac that I've never used... Do you think this might work better?

Lacquer on the buckle is going to be your best bet...

Good luck...

would set up a test for yourself on some scrap. Put Zelikovitz top coat on a section, then your 50/50 of Resolene, and some of the Saddle Lac. Then drop some water on it. If it beads up and rolls off without dampening the leather use that one. I believe it's the water that helps facilitate the black staining. You want the leather to pretty much be water proof. Certainly use the lacquer on the buckle too... it couldn't hurt.

Edited by Sylvia

Is the buckle light for its size, does a magnet stick to it?