Cobra Tom

Having Problems With Servo Motor Speed Control?

:notworthy: In response to the many posts regarding the speed control on our servo motors, we watched all the videos that various members posted and immediatelywent to work to develop an easy solution. We now have an easy to installmodification.

Anyone wishing to have this modification can send an emailto tom@leathermachineco.com andwe will send the modification with simple installation instructions by US mail.

All the new machines that we ship will have thismodification already installed.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all thosewho took the time and effort to suggest ways to improve our customer service.We sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Edited by Cobra Tom

:notworthy: In response to the many posts regarding the speed control on our servo motors, we watched all the videos that various members posted and immediatelywent to work to develop an easy solution. We now have an easy to installmodification.

Anyone wishing to have this modification can send an emailto tom@leathermachineco.com andwe will send the modification with simple installation instructions by US mail.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all thosewho took the time and effort to suggest ways to improve our customer service.We sincerely appreciate your feedback.

This is how it is done for any other guys wanting to have great customer service. We are looking to buy around Christmas and you guys just went up big in my book!!

Just got off the phone with Steve - he called to let me know this upgrade will be coming my way in the next day or two. Thank you Steve for keeping me in mind and for all your team's hard work in coming up with an easy to apply solution.

Good job fixing that issue you were having with your motors. You need to hire the forum member who wrote that modification guide! rolleyes.gif

Ron

Edited by Ronnie

Lighten.gifspecool.gifthumbsup.gif YOU Guys are at the TOP of my list You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Thank you Tom, That is great news:specool:

Trox

Last week I needed the instructional DVD and instruction booklet for my machine and they sent it free of charge with no questions asked. Now this! These guys have the best customer service I have come across in a long time, plus they sell a great machine. I highly recommend them!

You guys ROCK! rockon.gif

I read this late last night while on duty at the fire station and just had to call Cobra Steve this morning to check on my machine. Didn't realize it but I called his cell and he was at home. I thought I was calling the shop number.

Good news all around! His shipment of new machines have come in and mine should go out next Mon-Wed depending on when he finishes setting it up. Next good news is he said the fix works great and mine will be one of the first to have the new servo upgrade.

I think I may have awaken him this morning so I didn't ask a lot of details but I told him I would take some video and post it when I get it.

I've already got orders for belts and some other work as soon as I get it! Can't wait. Now, I just have to get me a shop built so I have more room to work! That's my next project.

Man, I'm already getting GOOD service from The Leather Machine Co. and I haven't even got my new machine yet! How's that for service? cheers.gif

Edited by Bobby hdflame

:specool: Sent email request this mornin'. Thanks to Leather Machine Co. for quickly checking out the problem and responding with a fix.! :specool:

Just got off the phone with Steve - he called to let me know this upgrade will be coming my way in the next day or two. Thank you Steve for keeping me in mind and for all your team's hard work in coming up with an easy to apply solution.

I just called steve yesterday, waiting to hear on financing but i see a cobra in my near future...

Not only a Cobra problem.

Remember this is not only a Cobra motor problem; every other similar Chinese brushless motor has this same speed control. Nevertheless, it is only Cobra who has offered their customer a mod. A very clever member was the one who made this solution. Nevertheless, Cobra responded to the constructive criticism without hesitation and offered this mod. Many big companies have something to learn from Cobra about customer service. Great job.

About servomotor and speed control.

On more expensive servo motor systems like my new digital Efka 1550, they use an analog speed control. This features 60 speed steps and gives a great low speed control. I guess the analog signals then am transformed in to digitals, it has to be. I do not know much about electronics, I do know the analog servo motors had good speed control, thought.

The high end pro servo motor systems are still only made by the German and Japanese companies, and therefore high priced. However, the Italian company Ocel Moretti, famous for their fine clutch motors has made this low price alternative to Efka and Ho Sing. http://www.ocelmoretti.com/ocel/en/node/290 .

This is a brushless servo motor system with needle position, motor alternatives is on 400 or 550 watt. This system is not strong enough for the big stitchers like the TSC 441 and DA 205-370 machines (without a speed reducer). However, for the upholstery class machines is should work fine. I have not tested it myself; I got this information from the Norwegian Dürkopp Adler Agent. The Ocel Moretti Company has made motors for the sewing industry since 1957, I trust the will not sell any motor system that will not work well. The system is about half the price of the Efka 1550 and Ho Sing HVP 70 systems. If anybody has this system or have tested it, please let us know.

I will once again give Credit to Steve and Tom in Cobra Leather machines, for their excellent customer service.

Thanks

Trox

My new Cobra Class 4 has shipped with the NEW servo mod. I should have it on this coming Tuesday. I'll make some video of it when it gets here so everyone can see how it works. I can't wait! thumbsup.gif

I don't know if this is a related problem, but when it's really hot out, (100 degrees), my Toro 3000 just quits working. I step on the pedal and.... nuttin'. After much consternation and bewilderment, not to mention many 4 letter word punctuated temper tantrums, I quite by accident figured out that it was lack of juice. Yeah, my window AC unit was going full blast trying to keep my shop below a comfy 89 sweltering degrees and was robbing the circuit of much needed watts or amps or whatever it needed.

So, now I know to try to get all my stitching done in the cooler morning hours or else I'll be doing it without the benefit of the AC. One of these days Maw, I'm gonna borrow some wire and.......

Hey Go2Tex I've got a different Artisan machine but a servo motor 622A, cant figure out how to change the speed, can find the needle up and down, and the direction but not the speed. Have only found the directions for the 622B on their website. No response after a couple of days from leaving a message for help from them... any chance the servo motor on your Toro is a 622A???

I'll take the heat/ac and power in to account... although for me it will be in the winter when the heater and machine are both going.

Thanks

Kat

I don't know if this is a related problem, but when it's really hot out, (100 degrees), my Toro 3000 just quits working. I step on the pedal and.... nuttin'. After much consternation and bewilderment, not to mention many 4 letter word punctuated temper tantrums, I quite by accident figured out that it was lack of juice. Yeah, my window AC unit was going full blast trying to keep my shop below a comfy 89 sweltering degrees and was robbing the circuit of much needed watts or amps or whatever it needed.

So, now I know to try to get all my stitching done in the cooler morning hours or else I'll be doing it without the benefit of the AC. One of these days Maw, I'm gonna borrow some wire and.......

Hey Go2Tex I've got a different Artisan machine but a servo motor 622A, cant figure out how to change the speed, can find the needle up and down, and the direction but not the speed. Have only found the directions for the 622B on their website. No response after a couple of days from leaving a message for help from them... any chance the servo motor on your Toro is a 622A???

I'll take the heat/ac and power in to account... although for me it will be in the winter when the heater and machine are both going.

Thanks

Kat

Yeah, on mine there is a little black knob. You turn it to control the speed. It's an ESM 400-2 motor.

Edited by Go2Tex

Thank you Leather Machine Company! I just got around to doing the mod. It's so simple, but very effective. No more surging when I press the foot pad.

You know what? I didn't even know I had a problem with my CB 4500 SERVO ? Been using it now a couple years. Never knew I HAD A PROBLEM. HMMM. Maybe Bob will solve the problem I didn't know I had.!! HMMMM. Really look forward to an improvement. I like better.

Kevin

You know what? I didn't even know I had a problem with my CB 4500 SERVO ? Been using it now a couple years. Never knew I HAD A PROBLEM. HMMM. Maybe Bob will solve the problem I didn't know I had.!! HMMMM. Really look forward to an improvement. I like better.

Kevin

If you've ever sewed with a clutch motor then the servo motor is such an improvement that you wouldn't know it could be better. I can stitch one stitch at a time with the servo on my upholstery machine but I realize that I'm only using a VERY SMALL portion of the travel distance on the pedal.

I can't wait to get the Cobra with the improvement. Tracking says it'll be here Tuesday!

I guess we can thank those that probably never sewed on a clutch motor for complaining! clapping.gifthumbsup.gif I probably would have used the servo on the Cobra and been happy with it...now I will be HAPPIER! Another BIG thanks to The Leather Machine Company for listening to their customers and acting quickly. cheers.gifYou_Rock_Emoticon.gifI just may order a digital servo from them for my upholstery machine, I'll know for sure after Tuesday.

I just wanted to post a quick update on my new Cobra. I received it yesterday and got it all put together. I tried out the speed control and it is fantastic! I haven't actually threaded up the machine and sewed with it yet, but the foot pedal is very easy to control the needle...not one stitch at a time, but down to a CRAWL! It's amazing. Thanks Leather Machine Company. You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

I'll post more after I've had a chance to use it actually sewing leather.

Same here - it works even better than the post-it-note mod I was using because this new fix from Steve gives an even greater range of speed than I was getting with the post-it-note. I set it to 40, and I think I was getting about 35-37 on the display (meaning it's capable of running almost Max speed). Obviously I'll never run it that high, but I sewed a mock-up holster last night with the speed still set at 40, and had NO problem at all controlling the speed. There is NO WAY I could have done that before (without the mod in stock servo form).

Good job Leather Machine Company!!

If I recall correctly, the problem was the machine hit top speed right off...there was no way to tweek the speed at the pedal, is that right?

So what did the fix consist of?

Jake

Edited by SooperJake

That's correct - the switch was variable, but the entire range of speed was regulated within just a fraction of an inch. The fix is a very minor modification (addition) to the light-blocking blade inside the switch via a printed sticker with a gradient printed on it. Very simple fix that works very well. I sewed another batch of holsters with it last night and couldn't be happier with the fix and the machine itself.

That's correct - the switch was variable, but the entire range of speed was regulated within just a fraction of an inch. The fix is a very minor modification (addition) to the light-blocking blade inside the switch via a printed sticker with a gradient printed on it. Very simple fix that works very well. I sewed another batch of holsters with it last night and couldn't be happier with the fix and the machine itself.

I've had a chance to play with mine just a little and speed control is great. clapping.gifthumbsup.gif

My problem is getting my EPS to work correctly. It may be something I'm doing wrong. I'll be calling Steve shortly to get him to help walk me through it.

As soon as I get me and the Cobra in sync, I'll try and take some video of the excellent speed control I have with it.

I've only had it for a week, but I don't think the Cowboy's controller works the same way. I can lay the side of my foot on the pedal, and "press" the air with my big toe ( barefoot) and the machine will creep. I can move the needle through its stroke in 1/4 " or so increments. Speed on the readout is 1600 rpm.

Jake

Edited by SooperJake

Jake, don't feel bad. I think this "solution" gives the Cobra guys what the CB 4500 already had. That's why we just don't understand. We did'nt/don't have the same problem.

Just smile and go on.

Kevin