Corvus

Bonded Nylon Thread - How To Finish?

I've recently switched to using bonded nylon thread but am not sure how to fasten off. Up until now using waxed linen thread I have back stitched and then just cut the thread off but when I do that with the bonded nylon it will pull back out of the hole. I need a really secure and invisible way of fastening off ... any ideas?

I backstich farther, burn the ends on the inside or apply super glue to the ends,it will

also help to pound the threads with a smooth hammer.

Thanks for your reply Luke, do you mean you pound the thread after sewing, meaning pounding the stitches?

A cobbler in New MIlford taught me this trick years ago, and I use it principally on my Singer Patcher.

The END is defined as where you are starting the stitch line.. The ENDPOINT is defined as the direction you are going and where you will finish the seam.

Start at the END do four stitched toward the ENDPOINT

GO back, heading to the END, and go over those stitches.

Reverse, and go over the stitch line again and keep going to the ENDPOINT until the seam is finished.

Use the same process at the ENDPOINT

Burning the nylon is also a good idea when you trim it, as one of your replies below cited.

Nylon thread had nothing binding it and there is virtually no friction hold inside your seams. That's why it gives. IT won't hold wax well either, and some brands even slip Crazy Glue.

By doing it this way you are not relying on one bend to hold the stitch, but rather two bends.

Hope this helps

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid

The Capgun KId

By doing it this way you are not relying on one bend to hold the stitch, but rather two bends.

Roger that - this sewing machine newb appreciates your passing on the trick :)

Thanks for your reply Luke, do you mean you pound the thread after sewing, meaning pounding the stitches?

yes it tightens the leather to the thread.

I trim my thread close to the leather, and then use a soldering iron to melt them. Works very well.