A customer from the US, over here on holiday has just asked me for Sno-Seal which, as far as I am aware, is currently unavailable in the UK. I have just supplied her with a tub of Skidmore's Beeswax Waterproofer but have a few concerns as I have never even seen Sno-Seal, let alone used it.

Can someone give me a brief description of the product and how it is applied - and also how it performs. Is it similar to Skidmore's Beeswax waterproofer or leather cream?

Hope you can help,

Ray

Not to throw you off track...I have never used Sno-Seal, or your Skidmores, but I do use the Feibing's product Snow-Proof. I couldn't tell you what's in any of them, but judging from the way everyone discusses them here on the board, they all do pretty much the same thing. In Snow-Proof, I don't smell any chemicals. They probably all contain waxes, palm oil, etc, I'm not sure. I have had people specifically come back to me wondering what it is I put on the leather, because to them, believe it or not, they appreciate the "feel" of it. There's a waxy soft feel, that does dissipate after a while, but then you just give another coat. Snow-Proof would probably be available to you over there, because it is Feibings.

All in all, they are probably the same ingredients, with small variations in different mfgs recipes. Of course, your Skidmore's must be the best....lol

Hi Ray,

I did a quick waterproofing experiment a while back and posted pics somewhere around here. Sno-Seal performed well, but it seems heavy on petroleum and best suited for sports and hunting gear where the major focus is waterproofing and maybe not necessarily leather conditioning.

Ed

Sno-Seal is slightly off-white in color, and has a consistency somewhere between petroleum jelly and creamy frosting. You rub it into warm leather, and I use a hair drier to help it absorb in, and it does a fantastic job on my sheaths. I believe it is a mix of various manmade waxes, and some oils, but I don't have the container in front of me at the moment.

~Noah

greetings

Sno-Seal was one of the 2 water sealers we would recommend for our work boots. The other was Hubbards. as mentioned about the Sno Seal, its not that different in application from other sealers. It did wear off after some time as with others, but its just one of those things that was applied from time to time.

i wouldnt worry about what you have sold your customer. from my experince, eveyone will have their own personal likes/brand that they use. im sure that your Skidmores will do just fine.