LeatherCaptain

Bench Mounted Snap Press

Hello,

I'm back to the well for answers...

Can anyone recommend a quality bench mounted snap press that's a good value for setting 24 ligne snaps onto 7/8 oz. leather? I don't process a ton of work so an automated machine is completely out of the budget. I'm mainly looking for recommendations from anyone who uses one. Are certain dies better than others? I believe there are screw in dies and snap in dies, maybe? What about throat depth?

Does this look like a good option?

http://sewtrue.com/Store/Automatic-Handpress-Snap-Machine-P507.html

Thanks!

Edited by LeatherCaptain

It looks like it might work, however, the handle pulls the wrong way for my preferences.

I've been using two Carr presses for many, many years and have never had a problem with them and they've set thousands of durables (line 24) for me. The handle goes either way. Just make sure you get good quality dies to go with them.

Tony.

carr1.JPG

carr.JPG

post-5242-127564924578_thumb.jpg

post-5242-127564926883_thumb.jpg

I've been using two Carr presses for many, many years and have never had a problem with them and they've set thousands of durables (line 24) for me. The handle goes either way. Just make sure you get good quality dies to go with them.

Tony.

I have a Tandy that is about 4 years old and it has been really good. Weaver sells one that is good and both carry all kinds of dies for them. If you buy at a Tandy store, you don't have to pay shipping and they come on sale periodically. Ken

Tony.

Look familiar??

DSC00124.JPG

(feeBay Deal! $15 delivered)

post-6344-127565826711_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.

I spoke to the company who sells the machine from my earlier post and he said the machine was designed for the gripper snaps and wouldn't work for the caps w/ a post. I don't see why not other than I can't get dies for them. Who knows.

Anyway, I think I may go with the machine in the link below. Seems like a good deal. I wonder about the quality of the dies but, I don't think I could go wrong. What do you guys think?

http://www.kingrichardco.com/GrommetSettingSpecial/Default.htm

I looked on feeBay but didn't see anything. $15/shipped seems like a great deal. Did it come with a set of dies?

Alright, just came back from Tandy. Bought their press and die set. Overall, seems like a good chunk of metal and the dies look pretty good. The shop manager here says that Weaver uses the same dies. The deciding factor was the way the dies are held in place. The press from Tandy's uses about a 1/4" bolt to hold the dies in place. The other presses use a small set screw that you tighten with a small allen wrench. I'm sure there may be better systems out there but this seemed like the best option. Also, the press and dies were discounted off of the already discounted elite membership price. I shop there enough that the membership is worth it.

Oh, and regarding the press from King Richards...the sales rep and the website both say that it's critical that you bolt their press to a workbench otherwise you risk damaging the tool. Just another minus in their bucket.

Thanks for your help! smile.gif (I'm getting better at this decision making thing...with all of the info on the net it usually takes me forever and a day to make up my mind...i almost need professional help)

Press-n-Snap

They have a bracket to bolt it to the bench. I have 2 one for each side of the ligne 24 snap. Handle works from the front, I like it better. Sets grommets pretty good too.

Art

Hello,

I'm back to the well for answers...

Can anyone recommend a quality bench mounted snap press that's a good value for setting 24 ligne snaps onto 7/8 oz. leather? I don't process a ton of work so an automated machine is completely out of the budget. I'm mainly looking for recommendations from anyone who uses one. Are certain dies better than others? I believe there are screw in dies and snap in dies, maybe? What about throat depth?

Does this look like a good option?

http://sewtrue.com/Store/Automatic-Handpress-Snap-Machine-P507.html

Thanks!

Press-n-Snap

They have a bracket to bolt it to the bench. I have 2 one for each side of the ligne 24 snap. Handle works from the front, I like it better. Sets grommets pretty good too.

Art

I saw the bench mount system. That's a good idea to set up two. They just seem expensive for what they are. And, the press down handle seemed like it would be more consistent than the plier type grips. I also don't have access to any of these systems to try them out so I went with my best guess.

I might add one of these press-n-snaps down the line if it would be a more efficient use of time. Do the snaps just sit on the dies or is there some retention method on the die?

A rubber collar on the die retains it. I bought mine for about $90 (with dies) from Rochler a couple of years ago. I like it because I can take it to a boat to install snaps on a cover (tie a cord around the tool).

Art

I saw the bench mount system. That's a good idea to set up two. They just seem expensive for what they are. And, the press down handle seemed like it would be more consistent than the plier type grips. I also don't have access to any of these systems to try them out so I went with my best guess.

I might add one of these press-n-snaps down the line if it would be a more efficient use of time. Do the snaps just sit on the dies or is there some retention method on the die?

There is a pair of bench mounted presses you speak of on ebay today.

search for this auction # and you will see