OK SO HERE IS THIS MONTHS CHALLENGE;

Dragons!!!!!

Rules;

5 Tools

NO LIMITS FOR STYLE OF DRAGON!

CELTIC,AISIAN,EUROPEAN, TRIBLE,TATTOO.

SEWN, EMBOSSED, 3-D,CHISELED WITH A NAIL FILE... WHATEVER YOU HEART DESIRES...BUT YOU MUST ONLY USE UP TO 5 TOOLS!

NOT CONSIDERED TOOLS:

COMPUTER

HAMMER

DIVIDERS

STRAIGHT EDGES

STYLUS / PENCIL

PAPERS / PLASTIC SHEETS

chancey 77

I would like to enter this months contest. I haven't entered in one yet actually just stumbled upon it last week. I read through aprils contest and I think i understand the rules. The deadline is the 31st of May?

Edited by jayjay

chancey 77

I would like to enter this months contest. I haven't entered in one yet actually just stumbled upon it last week. I read through aprils contest and I think i understand the rules. The deadline is the 31st of May?

Hi Jayjay:

It's a challenge, not a contest... and yes show your carving by May 31. Remember this is for fun and to get you to stretch your skills and break out of what you would normally do. Have fun!

Syl

"NOT CONSIDERED TOOLS:

COMPUTER

HAMMER

DIVIDERS

STRAIGHT EDGES

STYLUS / PENCIL

PAPERS / PLASTIC SHEETS"

No Hammer? does that mean no mallet or mauls either?

"NOT CONSIDERED TOOLS:

COMPUTER

HAMMER

DIVIDERS

STRAIGHT EDGES

STYLUS / PENCIL

PAPERS / PLASTIC SHEETS"

No Hammer? does that mean no mallet or mauls either?

Other way around, that list are the tools you can use that DO NOT count as one of the 5 that you use to get your design on the leather.

For instance my 5 would be-

1 Swivel Knife

2 Beveler Stamp

3 Small Background Stamp

4 Big Background Stamp

5 Mule Foot Stamp

It would be an impossible challenge if you couldn't use a hammer, mallet or maul.

Hope that helped clear it up, now, have fun spoton.gif

Thanks. I had my confused hat on.

No problem, I've often got the wrong hat on red_bandana.gifinnocent.gifcowboy.gifpolice.gifdevil.gif

I dunno about that. You've been hogging the funny hat to good effect. :thumbsup:

:youwish:

Just kidding - I couldn't find a clown smiley :whistle:

Edited by Domino

I dunno about that. You've been hogging the funny hat to good effect. :thumbsup:

I can't help myself :rolleyes2:

Anyway, back to the Dragon's

To ALL those taking part, and have a little bit of Jedi in them, May the Fourth be with you!:rofl:

Here is a dragon I did a little while back. Used a background tool, beveler, and a swivel knife.

gallery_18960_795_27478.jpg

That's a nice one. thumbsup.gif It look's like a bracer.

You need one for the other arm now.

And you've got 27 days to do it in tongue.gif

Did this in about an hour. I used my swivel knife, speed beveler and a modeling spoon/stylus tool.

I did ALL those scales with the knife. (ouch)

Since I have 2 more tools I can use I may go back and do some more beveling... with a different tool.

Anyway here it is.

I've already got like 3 hours into mine and I haven't even started tooling the actual dragon yet :rofl:

Did this in about an hour. I used my swivel knife, speed beveler and a modeling spoon/stylus tool.

I did ALL those scales with the knife. (ouch)

Since I have 2 more tools I can use I may go back and do some more beveling... with a different tool.

Anyway here it is.

Wow that may be the best piece I have seen from you yet!

YOU GO GIRL! Yes I did actually just say that...and I zig zagged my snap too! hahahah

I thought you where making it a guitar strap...or is this part of it?

Wow that may be the best piece I have seen from you yet!

YOU GO GIRL! Yes I did actually just say that...and I zig zagged my snap too! hahahah

I thought you where making it a guitar strap...or is this part of it?

Thanks!! LOL Some how my mental image of you being a biker and zig zagging your finger snap..... isn't quite right! :head_hurts_kr:

No, this is just practice since I've never done a dragon before. This design is just a bit to wide to fit on a 3 inch strap. I might color it and send it to the guy as a "gift"

I know his wife was looking for a brass dragon for their wall.

I had a hard time with getting those claws right with this Gawd Awful Barry King straight blade... I swear it's like a full 1/8" thick. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to sharpen that hollow blade after all.

LOL Some how my mental image of you being a biker and zig zagging your finger snap..... isn't quite right! :head_hurts_kr:

I guess I'm going to have to learn how to sharpen that hollow blade after all.

You know us musician biker types...WE ARE THE MOST FUN!!!!!!!!

You have to go spend another 15 bucks and get the Keen Edge Sharpener...after you do and you sharpen that hollow ground for 10 seconds you will be kicking your self so hard that you didn't just get it before right now!

I have heard you cussing that poor awesome knife blade for months now...all it takes is 15 bucks! And a few strokes and you will be rockin'!

post-28433-093370600 1336599517_thumb.jp

You have to go spend another 15 bucks and get the Keen Edge Sharpener...after you do and you sharpen that hollow ground for 10 seconds you will be kicking your self so hard that you didn't just get it before right now!

I have heard you cussing that poor awesome knife blade for months now...all it takes is 15 bucks! And a few strokes and you will be rockin'!

Have one... and it won't work with Barry King's blades. In his wisdom... he's made the shank of his a few mills LARGER then the standard Blades. So the damn thing don't fit in the keen edge. I love the knife... but that little tidbit pisses me off about it. LOL

Have one... and it won't work with Barry King's blades. In his wisdom... he's made the shank of his a few mills LARGER then the standard Blades. So the damn thing don't fit in the keen edge. I love the knife... but that little tidbit pisses me off about it. LOL

Well you could get the bore in the tool drilled out. I have one and never use the set screw so if it gets messed up it wont matter. all you need is a vise, a drill bit that fits in the knife hole and some time. Just make sure to maintain a straight angle when drilling. The other option is to use a dowel wrapped with sand paper and just sand it till it fits. If its not much this is a better way.

michael

Well you could get the bore in the tool drilled out. I have one and never use the set screw so if it gets messed up it wont matter. all you need is a vise, a drill bit that fits in the knife hole and some time. Just make sure to maintain a straight angle when drilling. The other option is to use a dowel wrapped with sand paper and just sand it till it fits. If its not much this is a better way.

michael

I'm going to say "thank you for the suggestion" instead of "oh boy here we go again!" lol

I have other knives with standard blades and I don't want to futz up my keen edge. BARRY needs to stop being a (expletive) and either make a jig, or an adapter to fit the keen edge and have it available to for sale. ohh... don't get me started. lol

I've heard that Chuck Smith has a tool similar to Keen Edge but they have yet to answer a single one of my dozen or so emails.

Best of both worlds in that one!! Throw artistry in there and you're looking for trouble.

I decided the other night that I need to get the keen edge guide when I realized how jacked up the angles are on my "deluxe" blade. I just need to sit down with a guide and get it honed out the right way.

Best of both worlds in that one!! Throw artistry in there and you're looking for trouble.

I decided the other night that I need to get the keen edge guide when I realized how jacked up the angles are on my "deluxe" blade. I just need to sit down with a guide and get it honed out the right way.

they work great. I even used it on my ceramic beader blade from tandy that came kind of rough.

Ok, here's my entry with the tooling all done. The whole project has a way to go still, so that will be a while before it gets posted.

Swivel knife, swivel beveler, PA003 pebbler on the shield.

In full disclosure - I started to use the B107 beveler at first in the shield, but decided I hated the look of it with the checkered marks after about an inch, so I went with the swivel beveler instead.

If you're not sure, do it somewhere that gets a backgrounder anyway so you can cover it up :)

post-22094-025605400 1336702759_thumb.jp

And yes, I know I need a better light source in my basement.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

I'm going to say "thank you for the suggestion" instead of "oh boy here we go again!" lol

I have other knives with standard blades and I don't want to futz up my keen edge. BARRY needs to stop being a (expletive) and either make a jig, or an adapter to fit the keen edge and have it available to for sale. ohh... don't get me started. lol

I've heard that Chuck Smith has a tool similar to Keen Edge but they have yet to answer a single one of my dozen or so emails.

All you'd have to do is, get a piece of round stock (or close to it and sand it down) the same diameter as the original "blade holder tube", cut it to length and drill out the center for the BK blade. Would be really easy to do with a drill press, even simplier with a lathe! Could probably get it done at a local machine shop cheap, make a few and sell them to others with the same problem. Actually, one end for BK and the other for tandy incase the original tube ends up missing.....

Edited by ironhead13

Actually, one end for BK and the other for tandy incase the original tube ends up missing.....

Now THAT is a brilliant idea! I might try to drill out the other end. Thanks!

Now THAT is a brilliant idea! I might try to drill out the other end. Thanks!

Didn't think about doing that to the existing tube. Center punch, run a pilot hole and step it from there. Hardest part will be keeping it straight if doing it with a hand drill, if you got a drill press it would be simple to make a quick jig outta a piece of wood.