cleanview

A Newbies Observations And Questions

I can only imagine how you that are experienced tire of in-experienced questions.

So posted previously about the heart aches of back stitching.

Have been using 277 thread until just now when I switched to the only black thread that I have which is 138. All of the sudden back stitching does not seem so bad.

The question...... I see videos of people making leather holsters with white thread and then dying afterwards. I tried that with nylon thread and it was a no-go. What thread is it that is used to be able to do everything in white and dye afterwards? Or did I dream this after one to many late night of youtube videos.

Is 138 thread suitable for most holster making?

You SHOULD be able to dye white nylon thread. Long as it aint waxed. Lots of people doing it.

And..

I would NOT use 138 for holsters. For a reinforcing panel or stitching in liner, it's probably fine, but then you'd want something heavier for the construction stitching anyway, and changing thread 'mid-stream" would be a big enough pain to make it not worth doing anyway.

For holsters, a feller could git by with 207 - I wouldnt go any smaller that that.

Most of the thread used in modern day leather stitchers is bonded and often lubricated. It resists most of the leather dyes. Fiebing's oil dyes may penetrate white bonded thread better than other dyes.

When I had my Union Lockstitch machines I used Barbour's glaced linen thread. It was available in natural, white, brown, yellow, or black. Any of those lighter colored linen threads could be dyed darker after sewing and the color held fast. If you care to experiment with glazed linen thread, start by getting a Union Lockstitch, or Campbell Randall Lockstitch machine. Or, most shoe sole stitchers use linen thread.

Cleanview, on any end of line stitching, you can tie off. I tie off anytime I can hide the knot.

Thanks again....I thought the 138 was a little light for stress points on a full size holster.

I plan on trying different threads down the road......to many to choose from and I am confused enough for now.

I have tried to tie them of but just dont like the appearance. I have been melting it instead.

I look at this machine and know it is loaded with potential......its just slow unlocking said potential

#138 thread is pretty damn strong --- I think most people prefer larger thread for aesthetics...

I´m not sewing holsters but when I look at other peoples holsters most are using much thicker thread than just 138, I think 277 or even thicker. It for sure is an optical aspect as well.