BusyMonkeys

Need Some Help In Choosing Leather

Hi,

I am looking after a grainy oak natural veg tanned leather to make a leather bag. The leather should be pretty grainy as I like that look and softness. It is pretty much like the leather Mulberry is using, so I attached some near photos of their leather. The flap is going to be out of a cow (hair) leather.

Thanks!

HH5625_342G110_swatch.jpg342G110_swatch.jpg

It's only been a day - patience man :)

Do you want vegetable tanned leather for tooling, or are you just after the grain pattern? Most Veg-Tan isn't going to have that kind of grain pattern to it because it's not the best for tooling. If it does have it, it's usually embossed on there. BUT, there are tons of options out there for leather with these textures if you're not interested in tooling it. Looking at "Mullberry's" pictures on their site, it looks like all of their stuff is chrome-tanned leather.

Thanks for reply! I am looking more after the natural grain pattern. I thought that grain pattern on leathers are natural, in comparison with tooling leather which is pressed down with a plate to get a smooth finish. I am not going to tool the leather by the way. :) Also, I want it to be veg-tanned so it can patina nicely :D

Edited by BusyMonkeys

Springfield Leather also carries the milled veg tan, but only in the 3-4 oz weight, yet sells it by the square foot up to an entire side.

Golliger leather in Ventura, CA has what they call a moccasin leather, which is basically a top grain bag leather with medium temper that runs 4-5oz. Lots of colors to choose from and reasonably priced (either $5.50 or $6.50 a sq. ft, I forget which). They have it tanned to their own specs by a U.S. tannery. Their website is pretty basic, so you have to order over the phone, but Carlos, who runs the place, is a very nice guy and patient with newbies. I've been to their warehouse many times and it's clean and well run.

post-38795-0-78478700-1388949296_thumb.j