quirtevans

Gusseted Purse With A Divider

I've been asked to build a two pocket gusseted purse...

I've never done that, and none of my searches here have produced any answers...

Any help on how to attach the divider? The gussets will be of a 3-3 oz cowhide and the front and back will probably be an 8wt, since it is for CCW use.....

Should I sew two seperate gussets? I'd prefer some input before I mess up some leather!

Here is a drawing of the proposed purse......

Thanks much..

photo1_zps5fbcd297.jpg

Just one way to do it, the gussets in your drawing appear to be folded (accordian style), sew the divider into the center fold of the gusset, if the pockets must be "discreet" with no cross over of items at the bottom then leave the bottom long and sew it to one side of the bottom, most I see this way use a "pocket" with a zipper and sew that into the center of the gusset, then you have basically three sections, the front and back of the pocket and the center zippered pocket in the middle.

Chief

Thanks chief...

The drawing was submitted by the customer so it's probably just conceptual. I'm not sure folding the gusset accordion style would even be practical as the purse is intended to just carry the gun in the rear pocket, and a few things in the front.

The few purses I do build are more primitive mountain man, or possibles bag style. I actually have my own ideas on how to do the job, since I do a bit of leather work, and do carry a gun. But it's sometimes very difficult to change a persons mind.

I appreciate the input.. Regardless of the folds in the gusset, I'll probably do just as you suggest. I doubt the threads showing will be an issue..

Regards, and thanks again!!