esantoro

yamata fs288 portable walking foot machine

I finally got my portable zig zag walking foot machine, which I'll be using for denim, suede and lighter leather and 138 thread and lighter (curious to see what this machine will do with 207 thread). I went with the less expensive yamata $300 shipped rather than the Sailrite. With the money I saved, I bought sailrite's awesome case for about $100. Now that I have this machine I'm very curious to know what the Sailrite looks like inside. I'll post pics soon of my yamata. If anyone has a sailrite ultrafeed, could you post some pics of the inner and under workings?

I was wondering if there is something people put down underneath the machine and inside the portable case to absorb machine oil. For right now, I have put down kraft paper.

ed

Not sure yet what to think about this machine. I still have to get properly sized leather point needles to work with the 138 poly thread I've put in the machine, but I'm not impressed just playing around with it with a 130 fabric needle installed. I expected the machine to be more powerful, but maybe I need the Monster II power wheel for that power. Would a better foot pedal help at all? I think what came stock is a carbon something or other pedal.

ed

Without the Monster wheel, my Consew was very weak. Now does just fine. Just today sewed 2 X 5/6 with 1 X 3/4 oz in middle and it walked right through with 138 & 20 DIA needle. That is about the max I use it for.....then up to the 3000.

Edited by Regis

Without the Monster wheel, my Consew was very weak. Now does just fine. Just today sewed 2 X 5/6 with 1 X 3/4 oz in middle and it walked right through with 138 & 20 DIA needle. That is about the max I use it for.....then up to the 3000.

I've ordered the Monster Wheel from Ultimate Sew and Vac in New Jersey. Their ability to actually get certain items seems spotty, so I may have to end up buying elsewhere, as I did with the case.

After reading up more on the sailrite, I really get the feeling that these machines are all very , very similar when they have the accessories added. The sailrite has the patented posi pin clutch assembly, which is a moot point if you upgrade to the Monster II wheel, which uses allen set screws. The case is wonderful, like an electric guitar case for my machine. The race, hook, and bobbin case on this yamata seem to be very good quality.

138 thread and two layers of 5/6 does seem to be the limit. I still need to get diamond point needles.

Does anyone know what kind of a foot pedal would be good for an upgrade?

Ed

I think I got my wish for a machine to learn how to rebuild. Sailrite has some pretty informative DVDs and instruction manuals for rebuilding their entire machine, which in many ways seems to be a mini version of the heavy stitchers.

ed

Hi Ed,

According to another importer I know, Sailrite pretty much buys the castings and builds those machines themselves. They're not a 111 and don't pretend to be, Sailrite actually sells the Tachony 111 (I think it is called Tacksew) which is very Singer like (don't know if all the parts interchange). The Little portables are meant to ride in a truck or on an ocean going yacht and are probably the best things for that function. They're as portable a light leather machine as you are going to find.

Art

I think I got my wish for a machine to learn how to rebuild. Sailrite has some pretty informative DVDs and instruction manuals for rebuilding their entire machine, which in many ways seems to be a mini version of the heavy stitchers.

ed

Hi Ed,

According to another importer I know, Sailrite pretty much buys the castings and builds those machines themselves. They're not a 111 and don't pretend to be, Sailrite actually sells the Tachony 111 (I think it is called Tacksew) which is very Singer like (don't know if all the parts interchange). The Little portables are meant to ride in a truck or on an ocean going yacht and are probably the best things for that function. They're as portable a light leather machine as you are going to find.

Art

Hi Art,

For my setup it's nice to have this small portable for stitching/prepping the suede pockets for my bags without having to recalibrate from 277 or 346 thread in my big stitcher down to 138 thread simply to roll the edge of the suede pockets. I can pull the portable out and put it just about anywhere, and then shove it back.

Sailrite may not pretend for the Ultrafeed to be a 111, but they nearly charge the same, at least for the ultrafeed LZ1.

Ed

Hi Regis,

I can't imagine being able to stitch thicker than that. Is it possible on these machines to raise the height of the inner and outer presser feet?

Ed

Ed,

Doesn't look like you can get any more height without taking some parts to a machine shop. I have the 3000 for larger and would want to use much heavier thread if I was going thicker than what would easily fit my portable. I got it for the lighter weight work and so I could take to my daughter's occasionally. Does that just great (with Monster wheel) and I'm happy. Biggest problem I have is seeing exactly where the needle goes into the leather because of the inner foot.

Regis

Ed,

Doesn't look like you can get any more height without taking some parts to a machine shop. I have the 3000 for larger and would want to use much heavier thread if I was going thicker than what would easily fit my portable. I got it for the lighter weight work and so I could take to my daughter's occasionally. Does that just great (with Monster wheel) and I'm happy. Biggest problem I have is seeing exactly where the needle goes into the leather because of the inner foot.

Regis

Regis,

I'll let you know what I turn up in the way of additional presser feet.

ed

Looks just like my consew but, your's has a better paint job.

I know, I know, you get what you pay for. All is well with this machine but for the fact that the screw that holds the top thread tension wheel in place seems to have been screwed in improperly. It is difficult to either tighten or loosen. Either tightening or loosening seems to risk stripping the screw head,damaging the threads, and perhaps breaking the cast iron around the area.

Yamata has been responsive, but I may I have to ship the 40 lbs. machine across the country to California just to have this screw replaced. Not only will that be pretty expensive, but I bet I'll be without a machine for a while. I could just force the screw out and try to find a better machined screw to replace it, though I'd rather have the factory take all the risk.

Even if I were to fix this problem myself, i'd still need to replace the metal rod that is used to release top thread tension when the presser foot is lifted up. I'll ask, but I don't think Yamata is even willing to send me that metal rod.

Ed

yamtension1.jpg

yamtension2.jpg

yamtension3.jpg

yamtension4.jpg

post-853-1201210445_thumb.jpg

post-853-1201210460_thumb.jpg

post-853-1201210482_thumb.jpg

post-853-1201210493_thumb.jpg

Regis,

By the way, in some Sailrite pictures the top tension wheel looks different. I think it's the same assembly but with the cap removed. I've also read in the Sailrite manual that that knob assembly can be taken apart and a washer placed at a certain point to allow for even tighter tension.

ed

I got this machine from unbeatablesale.com. Called them today. They are emailing me a UPS return shipping label, and will replace the machine.

I was surprised to get such good service.

ed

I got this machine from unbeatablesale.com. Called them today. They are emailing me a UPS return shipping label, and will replace the machine.

I was surprised to get such good service.

ed

Ed,

You sure have had "more" than you share of difficulty getting a portable in production. Sure hope this one works out and glad to hear you're getting good customer service. Customer service was non-existant where I got my Consew (specbrands) so I was lucky that everything worked ok.

Best of luck,

Regis

Edited by Regis

I could really use the machine this weekend, but I'm happy I don't have to foot the bill for return shipping.

I could have fixed the tension wheel myself and figured out a way to replace the tension release pin, but why should I risk stripping the threads, head, or both of a Chinese screw on a brand new machine?But it means I'll be with at a light-duty machine for a couple of weeks.

ed

Can't really tell from the picture, but is there plastic internal gearing or just ridging on the handwheel for a cogged belt?

Bill

Hi Bill,

The machine is all steel, but for that plastic tension wheel I had the problem with. The hand/balance wheel isn't plastic, but it's not steel either. it does not attract a magnet, as do the other parts of the machine. There is a larger steel balance wheel for more torque available from Sailrite for about $120, which I'll be getting soon.

ed

I know that Sailrite does have great customer service, but I've been pleasantly surprised by Yamata. They sent me replacement parts, few questions asked. All is fixed and I didn't have to ship a 40 lbs. box back to the distributor.

Now I've only got to content the the USPS and my needles for this machine that have gotten lost in the mail.

ed

Sailrite has leather presser feet for this machine for about $30. I was thinking I could find regular presser feet for it and grind off the teeth and polish the underside. Does anyone know what kind of presser feet this portable walking foot machine takes?

Thanks,

Ed

I've been playing around with this machine and the new balance wheel. Handcranking the wheel, the machine stitches through anything that can fit underneath the presser foot, a tad more than .25". The only limiting factor seems to be the Chinese 1.5 Amp motor. I'll use this one until I burn it out, but does anyone have suggestions for the most powerful motor that can be attached to such a machine?

I found one website that has a 1.5 amp motor for around $100. They say that their motor outperforms the Chinese motors (I can't find the URL right now). Sailrite sells its 1.5 amp motor for around $45. My yamata did come with a cheap carbon pile foot control. Would there be any improvement by getting a better foot control, or is it just a matter of being able to better control variable speed, with no influence on overall power?

Ed

I finally put this little machine into production use. Very nice. I was able to pull it out from underneath my work table, prep some suede pockets in just a couple of minutes, then put it away and get back to other work. I don't even need to plug it in, as the hand cranking wheel is enough.

Ed

Ed,

Glad to hear you've got it completely set up and running. Are you using monster wheel or the one that came with it for hand cranking? I only use the motor on longer straight streeches myself (and it does go slow enough for me).

I finally put this little machine into production use. Very nice. I was able to pull it out from underneath my work table, prep some suede pockets in just a couple of minutes, then put it away and get back to other work. I don't even need to plug it in, as the hand cranking wheel is enough.

Ed

Ed,

Glad to hear you've got it completely set up and running. Are you using monster wheel or the one that came with it for hand cranking? I only use the motor on longer straight streeches myself (and it does go slow enough for me).

I'm mainly handcranking with the monster wheel. No electric power needed.

Ed