ChiefStealth

First Project Pistol Pouch

My goal is to make holsters for myself and friends. I'm starting from zero leather working experience. I'm thinking that I need a starter project to get me into leather working. A holster seems a bit much to tackle for the first project, so I have a idea to make a pouch type of case for my new pistol. Something to protect the pistol when bumping around in the range bag. Here's the idea.

Imagine a piece of leather 6 1/2in by 13in. Fold in half, so you have a pouch 6 1/2in by 6 1/2in. Folded at top. Stitched across the bottom edge. Insert pistol into the pouch from the right side. Stitch along bottom edge of pistol slide and along trigger guard, so when you slide the pistol in it stops at stitch line. Kinda like a holster. The stitching also creates a secondary pouch at the bottom left, perfect for holding a magazine. That's it. A plain pouch.

This seems a rather simple project to tackle. Cutting, stitching, edge burnishing. I don't need to mold the pouch to the pistol. I don't need any fancy carving. I don't really even need to dye the thing. I suppose I could do some of this work, just for practice sake.

I need some suggestions about what kind of leather would be suitable for this project. I don't think I need thick stuff in the 6-7oz range. Maybe something that would be suitable for a purse, or a clutch, or a hand bag. Some thing sort of pliable, but still have a bit of stiffness to it. Whatja think?

Sounds like a fun project. Almost all my projects I use 6-7 Oz leather mainly because that's what I have on hand.