Sign in to follow this  
jvdborre

Vachetta Leather

Hi,

I'm looking to buy some vachetta leather in smaller quantities. I've been unable to find a supplier so I'm wondering where you guys get your supply?

Either way, I'd like to have veg tan leather that doesn't wrinkle when bent

many thanks

Thanks for giving me something to look up today. ;) Don't know if there is a US supplier of small quantities but will be interested to find out too.

By the way, Vachetta also goes by Vaqueta (the literal translation from Spanish & Portuguese is "Cowhide"). The funny thing is, it's basically just veg-tan cowhide but it's specific to a particular region of Columbia. You've got a ton of competition for it, Coach, Louis Vitton, Andrew Phillips and a number of others all use it for their handles and trimmings.

Thanks for giving me something to look up today. ;) Don't know if there is a US supplier of small quantities but will be interested to find out too.

By the way, Vachetta also goes by Vaqueta (the literal translation from Spanish & Portuguese is "Cowhide"). The funny thing is, it's basically just veg-tan cowhide but it's specific to a particular region of Columbia. You've got a ton of competition for it, Coach, Louis Vitton, Andrew Phillips and a number of others all use it for their handles and trimmings.

I have a talent in picking the unobtainable I guess ;)

Thing is, around here the only veg tan cowhide I can get is of lesser quality; Wrinkles easily when bent. This is a property I try to avoid when building watch straps ;)

Sounds like it may be an preparation issue rather than simply low quality. Reading up on it, Vachetta simply is veg-tan cowhide from the Colombian Andes. The difference between other cowhides and Vachetta has more to do with visual quality (the lack of insect bites due to the higher altitude) than it's working properties. Any veg-tan that hasn't been cased, skived or conditioned properly (or a combination thereof) prior to bending/folding will wrinkle. It doesn't have a sealer finish on a completed piece but all the references do discuss using a good quality leather conditioner/dressing to keep it from degrading & wrinkling/creasing permanently. A veg-tan with a softer hand/temper might help as well. Tanneries differ in temper, Hermann Oak is stiffer than Wickett & Craig and Chahin is inbetween the two. Calf & Goat are avilable in veg-tan as well and I believe you can find lamb although I have never tried.

Are you trying to tool or dye the watch bands which would require veg-tan? If not, a different tannage might work better as well.

Check out some of the gusseted cases on here Bob Park (Hidepounder) has shown some great examples where he has used thicker veg-tan than you'd use on a watch band with some compound direction bends & stitching in the gussets without wrinkling. He and others may chime in with tips.

Hope that helps.

Thing is, around here the only veg tan cowhide I can get is of lesser quality; Wrinkles easily when bent.

Forgot to mention something on this part...There is very little leather I buy locally anymore. There are simply too many better options via retailers online that I can get it from and usually for less. Springfield Leather, SavMor Leather and a number of others likely have something more to what you're looking for and most have great staff people that will talk at length to figure out what it is you need. It may take a trial & error for a piece or two (which is one thing that makes Springfield great, they'll cut hides to fill particial orders) to figure out exactly what you want but in the end it's worth trying a few places.

Forgot to mention something on this part...There is very little leather I buy locally anymore. There are simply too many better options via retailers online that I can get it from and usually for less. Springfield Leather, SavMor Leather and a number of others likely have something more to what you're looking for and most have great staff people that will talk at length to figure out what it is you need. It may take a trial & error for a piece or two (which is one thing that makes Springfield great, they'll cut hides to fill particial orders) to figure out exactly what you want but in the end it's worth trying a few places.

Thanks Spinner, that's some great info to start with. I've never considered casing the veg tan as I am not tooling it though I'm conditioning with neatsfoot oil. will give the casing a try

FYI

I contacted the folks that tan the Vachetta Leather. They regrettably do not have a distributor in the states.

Another company that uses it is Dooney & Burke (spelling) They make some beautiful ladies purses for mucho money.

ferg

Thanks Spinner, that's some great info to start with. I've never considered casing the veg tan as I am not tooling it though I'm conditioning with neatsfoot oil. will give the casing a try

Call and speak with the folks at Springfield and also your nearest Tandy. A couple of years ago I picked up a side of leather that is absolutely identical to "Coach" leather from Tandy. I purchased it as an 'odd lot'. Some of the retailers will buy remnants/unused pieces from other companies and resell it in the odd-lot packs. Given my experience with SLC, they'd probably look for it for you.