tboyce

I Need Some Expert Advice On A Sewing Machine.

Okay so here's the scoop.

About 15 years ago, I went from 70 mph to 0 too fast and ended up going into 18 hours of surgery with the likelihood of waking up without either of my hands or my right leg. Thanks to a marvelously skilled team of surgeons and a cadaver who donated his wrist bones, and two years under Helga the Bitch-Goddess who masqueraded as a physical therapist, I was able to take up leather working again.

I am a saddle stitch snob and never thought I would ever think of using a sewing machine but, for the past two years, whenever I have to stitch more than an hour, my hands cramp up so badly that I cannot uncurl my fingers..it's like getting a Charley horse in all your fingers at once and I am faced with the realization that if I am to continue with this hobby I love, I am going to have to purchase a sewing machine.

My budget is about 1500 and I want to buy the most versatile machine I can. I mostly work with under 3/8" of leather.

Can the experts here help me out? I don't want to buy a machine and then think, "oh crap"

Thanks in advance

Tom

Give Toledo Sewing Machine a look www.tolindsemach.com. I am sure Toledo Bob can fix you up with something in that price range.

A CB3200 from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines would probably handle all your work, up to 1/2 inch, and thread sizes up to 415. Best of all, it sells for under $1600 (plus shipping).

Okay so here's the scoop.

About 15 years ago, I went from 70 mph to 0 too fast and ended up going into 18 hours of surgery with the likelihood of waking up without either of my hands or my right leg. Thanks to a marvelously skilled team of surgeons and a cadaver who donated his wrist bones, and two years under Helga the Bitch-Goddess who masqueraded as a physical therapist, I was able to take up leather working again.

I am a saddle stitch snob and never thought I would ever think of using a sewing machine but, for the past two years, whenever I have to stitch more than an hour, my hands cramp up so badly that I cannot uncurl my fingers..it's like getting a Charley horse in all your fingers at once and I am faced with the realization that if I am to continue with this hobby I love, I am going to have to purchase a sewing machine.

My budget is about 1500 and I want to buy the most versatile machine I can. I mostly work with under 3/8" of leather.

Can the experts here help me out? I don't want to buy a machine and then think, "oh crap"

Thanks in advance

Tom

What kind of products do you plan on sewing? A light/medium flatbed or cylinder walking foot machine will handle up to about 3/8" thick and is better at sewing thin leather than the heavy duty machines you'll find.

Ron

Love my Cowboy CB3200... I've been successful sewing with 92 thread in two layers of sunbrella up to 277 thread in 9/16" of Herman Oak so far.

Ryan at Neel's Saddlery set mine up and its been a perfect experience.