Sign in to follow this  
Abram

My Newest Holster

Here is my latest project. I am not real happy with it. There is some crinkling in the leather on the right stitch line, front and back and I think it comes from trying to wet mold too soon but I am not sure. Also it looks as though the leather cracked or something, not sure bout that one either. Any and all opinions and/or suggestions, good or bad, are very welcomed.

DSCN2319_R.jpgDSCN2322_R.jpg

Edited by Abram

Abram.....It looks to me like the holster wasn't wet enough when you molded or formed it. You might try what I do...make sure you oiled the holster at one point, (I do it before I dye them) put about 4" of warm water in the sink and throw the holster in it. I let it sit there for several minutes and then take it out and do my thing. Yes, the leather is soaked, but it works for me. Different ways of doing the same thing. JMHO. Semper-fi Mike

PS. You have a beautiful piece anyways.

Edited by marine mp

Have you already sealed the leather? If not, you can try wetting it with a damp sponge and smoothing it out with various smoothing tools (bone folder, polished wooden handles, etc.). What kind of leather was it?

Thanks for the advice MP and the compliment

particle,

It was 8/9 oz. from tandy, not the high end stuff. i was just sitting here thinking that I had sealed the outside and put a coat of kiwi neutral on it but the inside was not really sealed, not sure why I did that or how I forgot. It may be one of those live and learn examples, I have a basket full of those right now....lol

Think i will start another one and see if I can work through these little bumps in the road.

Thanks fellas