JoelR

Can this leather be used?

So, Tandy came out with their November sales flyer. On the front is plastered full sides of what they refer to as saddle skirting leather for $65 a side. I honeslty don't know what makes saddle skirting leather, saddle skirting leather. I am currently finishing up with a 6/7oz double shoulder and have enough inquiries to justify purchasing some more leather. So, is 13/15 oz and/or 13/10 oz sides too thick for holster work? Anyone have any input? Thanks!

Saddle skirting is about as heavy as cowhide gets. It would be very difficult to use for holster work.

So, Tandy came out with their November sales flyer. On the front is plastered full sides of what they refer to as saddle skirting leather for $65 a side. I honeslty don't know what makes saddle skirting leather, saddle skirting leather. I am currently finishing up with a 6/7oz double shoulder and have enough inquiries to justify purchasing some more leather. So, is 13/15 oz and/or 13/10 oz sides too thick for holster work? Anyone have any input? Thanks!

Ask you Tandy Manager about the double shoulder specials: 9051-50 somewhere soon for only $1.99/sq foot - I think that should be a real good deal ....

Thanks Lobo. I was thinking that it might be a pain to work.

Leerwerker: Are you saying that this is coming in the near future or is this a sale price I missed? 9051 on thier site points to three different double shoulders - one of which is already significantly marked-down.

Thanks!

10/13 skirting can be used to make holsters of some types. Pretty much limits you to fold around with a welted back seam. Usefullness is pretty much limited to sporting holsters for large handguns and some duty style holsters. It can be formed to the gun but detail boning is very limited. At that price it doesn't hurt to have one around for an option.

Excuse my ignorance, but can you explain what is meant by a welted back seam?

No Problem. A welted back seam is made by inserting another thickness of leather between the front and back panels of the holster in the area of the triggerguard and below it. Has several advantages as it protects the stitches and puts less strain on them and makes forming somewhat easier particularly with heavier leather. I should also mention that this weight leather is good for very large knife sheathes particularly those designs that are two piece construction and use a welt front and back.

Excuse my ignorance, but can you explain what is meant by a welted back seam?

Lobo posted some good photos during construction of one of his newest holsters using a welt, it provides a good example and visual of what it is, at least for me anyway;)

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20043

Thanks all. I took a look at the leather while I was picking up a stingray, and now I see that it is much thicker than I had imagined. Had it not been pointed out that it was very difficult to work with for boning and molding I may have dropped the money only to have regretted it after I tried working with it the first time. Although, I do have a possible order for an X-Frame shoulder rig that may benefit from a really thick hide like that and the single holster would more than pay for the hide. I'll have to keep it in mind if the order comes through and look more into the welted seams.