Modad2010

How Much Are You Paying For Shipping?

I decided to try out some Wickett and Craig leather so I gave them a call. I talked to Matt and he told me that they had some russet double shoulders for a good price that I could try. So I placed the order and got my invoice today - the shipping for one dbl. shoulder was $27.03. This is the first time I've ever had leather shipped due to being close enough to SLC that I could pick it up myself. $27 seem a bit high for one dbl.shoulder though. Just curious what the rest of you folks are paying for shipping?

Doug

Last time I ordered a single shoulder from SLC the shipping to me From MO to WA was $17.00. Figure yours is close to double the weight of mine and posiible a little bigger box.

I ordered a double shoulder from a different company (I will not buy from springfield anymore due to their shipping profiteering and other reasons) and the shipping was around $8.00...and this was about 3 months ago...not years.

Edited by 25b

Hello Modad,

Shipping has gone amok! Very costly, regardless of shipper. Large heavy parcels are very high and the leather tubes/boxes used by many of the suppliers are costly items to ship.

Have had to stop doing business with a couple of suppliers due to ultra high shipping charges. $15.00 for a $10.00 item is out of line, at least for me.

I make every attempt to find suppliers that offer free shipping but that is becoming extremely difficult.

I suppose the lower oil prices has something to do with it. lol.

God Bless.

Ray

Bought a shoulder from Springfield. shipped it halfway across MO and was 9.55. Cant drive 6 hours on 9.55 worth of gas. Even with my car getting 38mpg.

Of course shipping is dependent upon what is ordered (size and weight). I haven't ordered anything yet from any supplier where the shipping was considered out of proportion.

When I ship something. It's usually by USPS Flat rate. It's consistent, easy, insured, and comes with a tracking number.

My issue is when an order take 3 business days to ship. No one specific supplier can be blamed with this as it happens from time to time. Though the ones it happens most consistently with I order less from (Or not at all). I worked in IT for the supply chain portion of a multi-million dollar corporation. Financial penalties could cost hundreds of thousands if a shipment was delayed just a few hours. If any suppliers are reading this -- the faster my order makes it out your door, the more orders you will see from me --

Too much as a general rule. I am ordering some antique paste to try and the shipping for 1/2 pound of product is going to cost me $4.50. FYI...UPS announced this morning they are going to tack on additional "surcharges" for home delivery because, as they state it, revenue from home delivery is not meeting their expectations.

When buying supplies I always go with the vendors who offer free shipping when you spend a set amount -- Since I hand select all my leather, I go to the source, so I pay no shipping other than my gas of course...

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much shipping has increased from 10 years ago? Doubled? Tripled? More?

Shipping on my raw materials is one of the items that when I do my taxes I think Holy Crap, gotta do something there! Compared to 20 or even 10 years ago, it is a way bigger percentage than other overhead expenses. The vendors make a difference; one of the vendors I used to use, (they're no longer in business) charged only the exact shipping cost and would ship back orders free. Unfortunately, the vendor they sold out to, is much more profit motivated and I'm quite sure they are realizing profit from their shipping department. Really nothing we can do about it, other than plan better to combine orders and pass the increased cost along to the consumer. When I figure the cost of leather in a finished product, I figure shipping on a side of leather is $25-$35 and it gets figured right into the cost, along with the waste percentage of any given side of leather. I would say shipping is probably triple of what it was when I started in business 23 years ago.

If I ship a bag to someone Priority Mail, it can cost $25.00 - 35.00, no additional fees. From GA to Washington State was more like 64.00. I'm not at all surprised when it costs $17.00 or even $27.00 for a company to send a huge roll of leather. I add it into the cost of the leather and the final product.

I think shipping is outrageous no matter what you are buying. I bought one side the other day and it cost me $17. I also bought a bunch of zippers and it cost me $13. I know the zippers are going to show up in a tiny little package too.

I was just about to make a thread asking this but I'll ask here. Does anyone have any experiene getting items delievered to the US (specifically Chicago) from abbey england? I wanted to order a few spools of tiger thread but I'm worried the shipping is going to be in the neighborhood of 100 bucks.

Oh no, it's no more than $20.00. It's cheaper to pay shipping from Abbey England than to buy from any place I've seen here.

It costs $32.00 for 500 meters from Abbey England. It's more than $10.00 for only 50 yards from any etsy store I've looked at. You'll pay less than half the price if you buy from England, even with shipping. And don't be put off by their approval process. You have to be approved before you can have an account. I don't know what it means, but it can take a day or two to get an account, or no time at all.