Check out my lateste project. My first Purse I've ever made. Genuine Turqoise with leather crown laced to flap strap on front of purse. Tandy's purse doesn't have the flap holder. Enjoy!!

Vikefan

post-7178-044937700 1296997716_thumb.jpg

post-7178-071629200 1296997733_thumb.jpg

post-7178-060494700 1296997746_thumb.jpg

post-7178-039930600 1296997767_thumb.jpg

post-7178-097344500 1296997783_thumb.jpg

that is so cool, i love the stone setting, any tips for those of us that would like to try that too?

that is so cool, i love the stone setting, any tips for those of us that would like to try that too?

Find yourself a nice stone. Using a 3/4 oz piece of softer leather cut stone inlay whole about 1/8 of inch smaller than actual stone. Make those cuts straight up and down, once that is done (you're happy with it) turn leather over and on the backside use a no. 4/5 beveler to cut about a 45 degree angle thinning the leather to make it easier to mold around your stone. Then wet your leather crown piece down and form it around your stone using an antler tip or boning tool until you're happy with the look and purchase of leather crown to stone (let dry).

Cut another piece of thin leather to match your crown setting to be used as a backing for leather crown (holding the stone inside). Using contact cement glue pieces together (I also put glue on the backside of the stone), primarily I did not want to take a chance and loose a $33 stone. I don't think the glue on the stone is needed if you have cut you crown small enough to securely hold stone in place - that would be up to you.

Once the glue dried, I used an applique stitch to attach stone setting to my flap holder on this project.

Hope this helps some and isn't too confusing. Please contact me if you have more questions, I will try to explain better.

I had done 4/5 practice pieces on the leather crown before I finally got it right.

Good Luck!

Where Can I find the directions for the applique stitch.. I love this.. I have been collecting stones but didn't know why.. Now I know what to do with them!! I love this. Thanks for sharing

That´s pretty nice!

Where Can I find the directions for the applique stitch.. I love this.. I have been collecting stones but didn't know why.. Now I know what to do with them!! I love this. Thanks for sharing

I apologize for not being able to copy the directions for you, but I actually got it out of a book I purchased at my local TANDY store here in Anchorage, AK. The name of the book is: Lacing and Stitching for Leathercraft. The Applique stitch I used are on pages 19 and 20 of that book. I think I only paid like 6-8 dollars for it.

Check it out. You might even be able to google it and see how it's done there - I haven't tried that..

Good Luck!