rcsaddles

hardware for mule halters

I have a good friend that sent five mule halters home with me to be repaired. They are made of either Beta or Biothane, not sure which. The hardware must be some pot metal stuff because it is not lasting. This guy packs into the Bob Marshall Wilderness and wants his equipment to last.

I am looking for suggestions here but I have chatted with Herb Bork about making the rings and halter rings. I am thinking of going with stainless steel or whatever I can get that is tough enough to stand up to the pressure it has to take. I will probably have to get the conway buckles and ss snaps from Weaver.

The way these halters were made, I have to take them completely apart to replace hardware so I am going to replace all at once instead of having to take them apart each time they break. And yes, I will be making notes so I can make these in the future.

Anyone have any suggestions on a supplier or better material to use? I will also have to figure out what size thread and needle was used to match it. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do that?

Thanks,

I have never worked with Biothane, so I can't help you on that, but I do build alot of mule halters, both draw chain and leather draw. I use stainless steel hardware for everything, they can take a beating and usually aren't very well maintained, so I want to make them as durable as possible. Anyway I get all the hardware from Weaver, they have a good selection in stainless. (although the chain is not stainless) If you need advice on a specific piece do you have a picture of the halters? by the time you take those things apart and replace with decent hardware he could have about as much into them as he bought them new I would think. Chris

Joe,

Your client should probably be using rope halters....they are inexpensive, adjustable and they won't break. But if rope is not an option for him then I would consider eliminating the "halter" hardware all together and go to heavy solid steel rings on the halter. I think they would last a lot longer. Where do the conway buckles go? I think that will be a weak point also and am not sure where it goes on a halter.

Hope this helps....

Bobby

I don't mean to be an A hole here, but by the time you take the halters apart, pick out the old stitches and put them back together, you could have just as easily and cheaply made new halters.

Kevin

Unfortunately Kevin, you're probably right. As far as the halter hardware, I don't actually use regular halter hardware. Most typical mule halters are 1 1/2" wide heavy harness leather. For the hardware where the noseband meets the cheek, on the draw chain halters I use a really heavy stainless steel square, and at the top of the cheek a heavy 1 1/2" stainless steel britchen dee. I really like the rope halters, and use one on my own mule, but most outfitters are probably going to want draw chain halters as persuaders to keep everybody in line in the string.

I've got two different styles of mule halters shown on my website www.horseandmulegear.com if anybody is curious about the typical style. I kind of have mixed feelings about them, in the wrong hands they can be pretty harsh but I'm also fully aware of the problems a balky animal could cause in the midst of a string on the side of a mountain. Chris

Edited by mulefool

Thanks for the input on this. I understand where you are coming from and appreciate the feedback. If I didn't want your opinions I would not have asked.

As far as time and money goes, this customer is a good Christian friend. I do his tack repair, he pays cost of material and takes me hunting with him. These halters will fill in slow times this winter. I also have an 11 year old that wants to start hunting and riding so he will help me "pick stitches" to start learning how the halters are made and what they do. He is also pretty handy with my sewing machine so he may even get to stitch some back together.

I will talk to the customer and tell him what I have found out.

Thanks again.