DavidL

Dip Dyeing- How To Do?

Im having issues dip dying my projects and the dye being able to be scratched off easily. (I have no issues with angelus w/ a dauber, just with fiebings)

I start by cutting out my pieces of veg

filling a container with dye (not reduced)

and dip the leather in for 5 seconds

pull out and lay flesh side down, allowing to dry for 24 hrs

The colour looks consistent while its still wet.

When it dries some areas are darker, others are lighter.

Is this because I did not hang it and let the dye drip off? Dye needs to reduced? Not dipping long enough?

A side question- after I dye the area I apply atoms wax when its dry then buff off the wax, every thing is set, no dye coming off the piece of leather. I then test to see how tough the dye is by scratch the leather with a rock, the dye lightens up. I re apply atoms wax and buff the area that I scratched off, the wax picked up the dye and filled up the lighter area. Am I sealing it correctly? I don't want the dye to come off on my jeans if the dyed piece touches water.

Are you buffing before you apply the wax? Black usually leaves a lot of extra dry pigment on the surface. Sometimes the black doesn't seem to sink in much at all and it rubs off a little when I buff it.

I apply the atom wax then buff. I didn't think that would be an issue?

Should I buff immediately after it is dry?

Try three things, . . . first reduce the dye 50% with thinner.

Secondly, . . . allow it to dry for 24 hours, . . . grab a terrycloth wash cloth that you never want to put on your face again, . . . and begin to buff the leather.

Every so often, . . . rub the leather with a white paper towel, . . . folded up. When you see very little pigment coming off the item, . . . you can quit buffing.

Most people have no idea how much physical effort is required to buff out the extra pigment the dye leaves behind, . . . and the darker the dye, . . . the worse it is.

USMC black is the absolute worst of all.

And don't forget to do both sides,..............

And, third, . . . you said you are scratching the finish with a rock. Atom wax is a "genteel" finish, . . . not designed to even think about enduring that kind of abuse. If you want to protect it that well, . . . move up to Resolene, . . . or at least Bag Kote.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight