samcolt45

Question About Double-Needle Sewing

I've a really newcomer to the who's returned to the holstermaking after an absense. In an effort to improve my sewing, I've been following the sewing threads (no pun intended). While I've found quite a few discussions involving the benefits of a saddle stitch over lock stitch, and the advantage of a using the double-needle meathod compared to a sewing-awl kit, and the pros of using a diamond awl to create your holes instead of a drill, etc.

Nonetheless, despite my best efforts to seach various forum topics, I have yet to find a post showing how to actually make a saddle stich. I understand Al Stohlman's book "The Art of Sewing" does a great job of explaining the subject (which I plan on picking up with my next order to SL) But, after reading his "The Art of Making Holster," I'm hesitant because I the previous guide lacking in explanation. So, I attempted seaching the web for answers, yet to no avail.

So far, I've used a lock stitch only, with a sewing awl kit—but not by choice. A rep at Tandy Leather suggested it as a possible benefit as a result of limited motors due to my cerebral palsy

While I'm certainly not the only one to pose this question, a how-to post would be very helpful.

Any guidance, insight, psychic influence or suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Boyd

AKA samcolt45

Wyeman.

I don't know how you found it, but that is just the sort of thing I've spent several days canvassing the various forums for.

Thanks tons,

Bob

Check this out

Thanks for the push folks but that video is all done left handed and might not be that helpful to right handlers.

The video below looks at left and right handed stitching and may be more useful to you.

Regards

Nigel