David

Victorian Scroll Seat

Had this artwork requested from SPS West. It was an interesting challenge. I've never done Victorian Scroll type work before and had never connected it with motorcycles.

I tried the "fast" basketweave that ShirleyZ used on her USMC seat. It certainly is faster, I like it.

Dave Theobald

http://theobaldleather.com

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

post-5652-1206881169_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1206881181_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1206881190_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1206881198_thumb.jpg

That's some fine scroll work there david, very nice looking. I really like that lace as well, will have to give it a try also.

Is this one going to be dyed or left natural?

Ken

That's some fine scroll work there david, very nice looking. I really like that lace as well, will have to give it a try also.

Is this one going to be dyed or left natural?

Ken

Hey Ken,

They actually ordered three of these seats...one black (of course), one tan, and one tan fading to black at the edge.

The scroll work is time consuming for sure.

Thanks for looking,

Dave Theobald

David

This is awesome. Every elegant.

Lindatt

very classy piece David.

small parallel lines are the most difficult.

Is that lace pattern posted here somewhere?

I'd like to try myself

Nice work David, I like it.

I'm working on a memorial type seat that will have victorian scroll work. I have also been looking at your "tattoo" seat, as I've had a request for "a dragon with a couple of koi". In the process of coming up with a design, I like looking at how others have done it.

Your posts provide great inspiration, Thanks for that.

John

Nice pattern so well done

very classy piece David.

small parallel lines are the most difficult.

Is that lace pattern posted here somewhere?

I'd like to try myself

Roger,

Shirley talked about it briefly in her USMC seat thread. It is basically a three forward, two backward lacing pattern.....Like the basket weave, but with no "under" lacing. Hope that is clear. Where ever the basket weave pattern requires you to thread your lace under previous lacing, you just keep it on top.....hence "fast" basket weave. It ends up looking like a herringbone pattern.

David Theobald

Edited by David

i sorta remember her saying that. i didn't know if an illustration had been posted somewhere.

i guess I'll have to try it to understand but, i know what you are saying

Wow David, that is a beautiful style! Seems like there's alot of nice seats popping up right now, summer's right around the corner and maybe it brings out the best in the seatmakingdepartment.

That lacing is looking so good so thanks to Shirley for popping some nice stuff. I wonder if she has a name to it yet?

I have done another variation of this lacing in an area where I could only pass the needle under on one side so if one has to do the original roundbraid and have one side of the lacing not showing it can be skipped there to save time.

Wonderful stuff as usual with you David!

Tom

Had this artwork requested from SPS West. It was an interesting challenge. I've never done Victorian Scroll type work before and had never connected it with motorcycles.

I tried the "fast" basketweave that ShirleyZ used on her USMC seat. It certainly is faster, I like it.

Dave Theobald

looks great David, I like the Victorian scoll look

Great looking seat David. Scroll is amazing. Hope you post all three of the seats when you get the other two completed and colored.

Johnny

Tom Swede,

That's a good tip....so if you're doing a frame mount instead of a springer seat, you can save a bit of time on the lacing. Good idea.

Tom Sawyer,

Thanks for taking a look-see. Glad you liked it.

Johnny,

I'll put them all up here for sure. Thanks for looking

David Theobald

I really look forward to seeing your work posted. its always so clean and balanced. not to mention your meticulous lace work. a quickie question for ya, I can't quite make out how you tooled the scrollwork. it looks like you beveled just one side from the inside yes?

Zman,

You are correct the scroll work was beveled from the inside.

David Theobald

David,

Outstanding work...very clean! I like it! I think the inverted beveling adds a lot to this as well.

I love seeing your seats, someday I'll be almost as good as some of you guys!

Love the scrollwork and the inverted bevelling. I bought the first lesson on Victorian carving from Painting Cow. Ready to try my hand at that. Very nice.

Thanks for the comments guys,

The Victorian scroll was their idea not mine....I also have the lesson by Painting Cow...it is interesting.

David Theobald

Here is the final version of this one....black to tan fade as requested.

David Theobald

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

post-5652-1207581341_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1207581352_thumb.jpg

Nice work as always, David. The color fade looks good.

Looks great David!

i love the scolls.

Thanks guys,

Always happy to hear that someone likes the work.

Please keep Donny Loos in your thoughts and prayers....he need all the support from the man above that he can get.

David Theobald

I've got alot of catch up to do on the forums so please forgive me for not reading all the replies if i'm repeating something.

Dave to me this is some of the best work i've seen. Your tooling and lace work is always super clean but man i gotta tell ya that design is the BOSS brotha !! It looks great the way you dyed it. I'm so glad you posted a few pics before the dye, cus in it's all nat cew rail kolor is my fav. True classic !! Now tell me this , that's not you norm mexican basket weave like you've done on the others, rite ??

Great work !!

Hey Freak,

That is not the regular basketweave/round braid....Shirleyz did it on her Marine tribute seat. It is exactly like the basket weave except you don't weave UNDER any strands, just forward 3 holes then back 2 holes....very easy and fast. It looks like the basket weave because it covers the edges completely but is much faster to do. I comes out looking like a herringbone pattern.

Thanks again to Shirley!

David Theobald

http://theobaldleather