Hey Gang,

Finished up another messenger/laptop bag. I wanted to try this one out in Eco-Flo Java Brown. I think it came out pretty sweet, I really like this brown!

Same dimensions as usual, 15" x 11" x 4.5"

Cheers,

Andy

P.S.

Sorry about the photos, I guess I was in a rush with the light so they're kind of fuzzy.

ARM-bag1.jpg

ARM-bag2.jpg

post-8183-127224893015_thumb.jpg

post-8183-127224898756_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndyL1

Hey Gang,

Finished up another messenger/laptop bag. I wanted to try this one out in Eco-Flo Java Brown. I think it came out pretty sweet, I really like this brown!

Same dimensions as usual, 15" x 11" x 4.5"

Cheers,

Andy

P.S.

Sorry about the photos, I guess I was in a rush with the light so they're kind of fuzzy.

Very nice Andy. Is it lined? Are there any dividers inside?

Awesome! Looks fantastic! Any pics of the interior?

Very nice Andy. Is it lined? Are there any dividers inside?

Thanks! No it's not lined. I just dyed the interior black. No dividers, but I do have a hanging pocket on the inside.

Awesome! Looks fantastic! Any pics of the interior?

Thanks too! I will have to take some photos tomorrow of the inside pocket and post them up. I waited too long today and the sun was going down. Silly me forgot the tripod!

Here's a pic of the back. Oh and I guess I should add that it's 5/6 oz double shoulder cow hide.

ARM-bag3.jpg

post-8183-12722553495_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndyL1

Turned out really nice Andy. I agree with ya, the colors turned out great.

Nice piece of work, Andy! I'm a big fan of messenger bags, and yours are getting better all the time.

Kate

GREAT looking bag...everytime I see a cool bag like that I think I have to make one for myself.....so that does it....I'm making me one......someday......maybe......:blahblahblah:

Rayban is right. Except that I have already cut the leather for mine. 12" x 18". My laptop is big. And mine is going to be lined. I've already bought the pigskin. And I have a divider planned for it. And I keep looking at patterns for tooling. It's turning into a huge project. I might be better off making it and then making a nother one just so I can improve.

That looks awethume!! Very nice design and love the color! You can add me to your fan list.

Rayban is right. Except that I have already cut the leather for mine. 12" x 18". My laptop is big. And mine is going to be lined. I've already bought the pigskin. And I have a divider planned for it. And I keep looking at patterns for tooling. It's turning into a huge project. I might be better off making it and then making a nother one just so I can improve.

You may surprise yourself and decide that your first effort is just fine.

Mine will be more of a "man purse", so nothing special has to fit just so......

This past week-end I was at a leather show walking around with my cell in one hand, and my camera in the other....picking up stuff, buying stuff.....caught myself thinking...I need me a damn man purse!!

Can't wait to see it! I made one for myself just as you are going to and each one I make after it is better than the first. I want to put a divider in these as well but without splitting the gusset in two how are you planning on adding it? I could sandwich it into the front panel/side gusset but I think it would get fairly thick on the edge. I also didn't really want to run a stitch down the side gusset just for clean-looks sake.

Thanks for looking everybody and all the kind words! Keeps me motivated to do more.

-Andy

Can't wait to see it! I made one for myself just as you are going to and each one I make after it is better than the first. I want to put a divider in these as well but without splitting the gusset in two how are you planning on adding it? I could sandwich it into the front panel/side gusset but I think it would get fairly thick on the edge. I also didn't really want to run a stitch down the side gusset just for clean-looks sake.

Thanks for looking everybody and all the kind words! Keeps me motivated to do more.

-Andy

I've had a couple of thoughts about how to do the divider.

1. Split the gusset.

2. Cut the gusset about 1/2" wider than I want and the divider about 1/4" to 1/2" smaller than the front and the back. Run a line down the gusset and use it as a stitich line so I'm sewing through the gusset, the divider, and the other side of the gusset, solding the gusset around the edge of the divider.

3. Split the gusset and stitch everything in the usual manner, but back about 1/4" to 3"8" from the edges of the front and back. Glue a second gusset at the top of each side and then sew the outer gusset on 1/8" inset stitch lines.

4. Sew a tab to the divider and then cement and sew the tab to the gusset. (though that will make a stitch line outside the bag.

My laptop is barely an inch thick. I really want a divider so the laptop will be held securely, without padding, and there will still be room for both laptop accessoriews as well as papers.

I had also considered doing a Mexican basketweave lacing over all of the edges if I split the gusset. Which would, I think, look really pretty. Unfortunately, the way that lace wears, I'd probably ahve to relace the whole thing about once a year, so now I'm thinking I won't do that.

Unfortunately, the way that lace wears, I'd probably ahve to relace the whole thing about once a year, so now I'm thinking I won't do that.

Use kangeroo lace and you will not have a problem. I have had wallets come apart in less than a year with calf lace, have over two years on a wallet with kangeroo and it has not even started to show signs of failure.

Aaron

Hey all,

It was asked what the inside looked like on this bag, so I finally got around to taking a photo of it. It has a hanging pocket large enough for a wallet, phone, keys, whatever. The lady I made this bag for also wanted a decoration added to the front like a bag I had done before but not tooled into it, but stitched on like my first one. So I obliged... I'm not sure if I like it this way as much as it being plain... but it still looks pretty cool!

Cheers,

Andy

ARM-bag4.jpg

ARM-bag5.jpg

post-8183-127286489772_thumb.jpg

post-8183-127286490832_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work - love the coloring on the exterior and the way you made it look aged. If you ever felt like sharing, I'd love to know what a bag like that sells for... :)

I've worked out how to do the divider. When in doubt, I suppose, go to the luggage store and look at what other people have done.

The exterior of my bqag is cut from 8-9 oz cowhide. I've cut a divider of 4-5 oz. It's about 3/8" smaller than the exterior. I'm attac hing stips down each side of the divider, but not the bottom. The side strips will be sewn to the back of the bag, inset about 3/8" from the outside edge. Then the gusset sewn onto the back with a stitcjh line a little less than 1/4" from the edge. No split in the gusset needed, and the bottom stays flat.

I've worked out how to do the divider. When in doubt, I suppose, go to the luggage store and look at what other people have done.

The exterior of my bqag is cut from 8-9 oz cowhide. I've cut a divider of 4-5 oz. It's about 3/8" smaller than the exterior. I'm attac hing stips down each side of the divider, but not the bottom. The side strips will be sewn to the back of the bag, inset about 3/8" from the outside edge. Then the gusset sewn onto the back with a stitcjh line a little less than 1/4" from the edge. No split in the gusset needed, and the bottom stays flat.

I think what you're describing is basically a soft panel sewn to the inside of the back panel right? This way the stitching for the divider is hidden from view by the back outside pocket. That's a good idea. I may go a step further and sew some small pockets onto the divider as well. Post some photos?

Good tips!

Cheers,

Andy

This is an awesome bag.