wilstreak

Apple Hermes Double Tour Watch Band

well, the thing is I am total noob on leather working

and then after looking at Apple Hermes Double Tour watch, i totally want it, but of course no chance for me to shell out $ 1250 for a leather watch strap and i feel the urge to suddenly make one for me.

So it is true that for making such a fine leather item, one have to be so experienced, but i decided to get my hand dirty and practice on my own by reading this forum, only 1 question though:

What is the leather that is being used for that Apple Hermes watch strap or usually what is the leather for watch strap:

-Vegetable tanned or Chrome tan

-Pull up or etc

-Natural grain or top grain and whatever else

-Cow, goat, horse or the other

can you suggest me which kind of the leather to buy?

and maybe some tips for newbie

Thank you guys

hermes-doubletour-hero-print-cropped_col

Hermes watch strap is hardly a newbie project, it's more suited to be a test for an experienced leather crafter (test of patience, technique and knowledge). Even someone that has it all in the hands could mess up by now knowing his/her edge finishing chemicals.

And even if you were the most talented guy for the job, you'd need tools and machines that are way above the $1250 mark.

It's nice that something inspired you to take up the craft but you should learn the basics (which would alleviate your leather type selection troubles), then get the most basic tools, then do easy projects and if you still wanna go further, get a heavy duty sewing machine etc.

There are several youtube videos of Hermes making watch straps. Do a search there.

My guess is they are using calfskin from Haas Tannery in France.

There are several great strap makers out there. Check out Hughes Low.

http://hughes-handcrafted.tumblr.com

http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2012/08/how-to-hand-making-watch-strap.html

Edited by thefanninator

I'm going to disagree with MissionVao on this, I think watch straps are a great beginner's project. There's very little leather involved, and the small size means you can usually find enough good leather on a cheap-o belly for several complete sets. This particular strap is just pretty leather and some thread, and it could be made with the tools included in a standard Tandy beginner kit. (With the possible exception of a creasing tool, I can't remember if they include one in a basic kit.)

I'm going to disagree with MissionVao on this, I think watch straps are a great beginner's project. There's very little leather involved, and the small size means you can usually find enough good leather on a cheap-o belly for several complete sets. This particular strap is just pretty leather and some thread, and it could be made with the tools included in a standard Tandy beginner kit. (With the possible exception of a creasing tool, I can't remember if they include one in a basic kit.)

That's what I though at first. But i can totally see MissionVao's point since e are talking about Hermes, one of the most luxurious brand in the world, certainly the details that is put into their product would intimidate any would-be maker and of course I never intended to make something as grand as that.

thefanninator and lilswayleather both agree that the leather they are using is calfskin, but since i don't have any access to france leather (especially made by specific tannery like HAAS), is it possible to use any normal calfskin and yet still able to produce similar results?

And about the underlying/base leather (i dont know what to call it, basically the middle fat part of the strap where there is mound, what kind of leather should I use for that part?

Thank you guys for your response

Since the design is so simple the stitching really stands out which you will need to practice a bit before you start on the watch band.

Im not suggesting you need a expensive pricking iron but for a watch band you at least want a small spi iron (probably 10spi). Does Tanndy make irons that small? I would recommend one of the chinese irons that is supposed to look like a European iron which are pretty cheap on ebay, and it will be important to use thin thread for a project this size (probably 632fil au chinois or equivalent of another brand).

For leather I would actually recommend something like wickett & craig chestnut bridle split down to about 4oz which you can get easily in the states. Other calf leathers are usually chrome tanned and don't look super similar to Barenia IMO.

I would strongly suggest starting with a quality pricking iron and if leather work doesn't suit you, you can sell it and get your money out of it. There are some new pricking irons that are Vergez Blanchard quality or better for much less. Google Atelier Amy Roke. They look awesome.

I'm glad OP understood my reply was strictly limited to Hermes straps :)

It was quite clear since we all know you don't need a sewing machine for a wrist strap and Hermes uses them regardless.