Southernbeau

Anyone Have Pics, Ideas, Or Cautionary Tales

Buddy wants me to make him a holster for a Steyr MA1. I had never even heard of these. It is terribly ugly but by all accounts very functional. So has anyone ever made a holster for one and have pics of said work? I'm all ears for any advice or specifics on this rig to be mindful of. I have attached a pic of the gun and am planning to make a pancake type holster for it along with a double mag carrier.

post-32352-053082200 1346683255_thumb.jp

just did a quick google image search. seems to be a few pancakes on there.

Steyr Google Pics

I like this one offered by the Steyr company. I don't know who they're maker is, but I'd add a sweat shield to it if I did one.

Steyrarms.com

Edited by CountryTrash

Yeah I found those but was looking for more first hand experience.

just did a quick google image search. seems to be a few pancakes on there.

Steyr Google Pics

I like this one offered by the Steyr company. I don't know who they're maker is, but I'd add a sweat shield to it if I did one.

Steyrarms.com

I can't think of any reason to treat it differently than a "common" semi-auto.

Get your stitch lines figured out and treat just like you would any other holster :)

I can't think of any reason to treat it differently than a "common" semi-auto.

Get your stitch lines figured out and treat just like you would any other holster :)

That's definitely the plan but I'm still so new to this and its a funny looking rig so the reservations are there.

i BUILD A HECK OF A LOT OF HOLSTERS FOR THAT GUN.

Oops, caps lock, sorry :(

Not a terribly difficult gun to work with. Makes for an OK looking holster even.

m9a1.jpg

Its no more ugly than a Glock. Here is a pancake for a S&W M&P 9 (My first holster that was any good but still had issues)

post-22515-085544800 1346732868_thumb.jp

Here is an Avenger for the same pistol. (Better but that square corner on the stitch like really bugs me now that I know better)

post-22515-002901200 1346732998_thumb.jp

And an IWB for the aforementioned Glock.

post-22515-073526600 1346733040_thumb.jp

Its what you want to make.

Edited by mlapaglia

Here is one I made recently with a thumb break

SteyrM9A1OSpreywiththumbreakblack00152.jpg

SteyrM9A1OSpreywiththumbreakblack00132-1.jpg

Well I finally finished the set.... Here are the results very open to comments critiques etc. I want to learn and get better. This forum has been my teacher so if these are any good then I owe it all to you guys/gals!

post-32352-0-30287200-1349845365_thumb.j

post-32352-0-23736900-1349845379_thumb.j

Well I finally finished the set.... Here are the results very open to comments critiques etc. I want to learn and get better. This forum has been my teacher so if these are any good then I owe it all to you guys/gals!

Looking good..the only thing that stands out to me is the stitch length..looks a little too long...if you dont have an overstitch wheel to mark the leather for 6 stitches per inch, use a ruler and mark your pattern every 4 mm..thats 6 spi..transfer your marks to the leather with a scratch awl or something else sharp and pointy and you have your stitchline all laid out...this is also a really good technique for doing western style holsers and pouch type holsters where you dont have a lot of room to get a good glue bond..