BHPshooter

Hermann Oak... I Can't Believe The Difference.

Hey folks, long-time lurker here. After reading so much about it, I recently bought some Hermann Oak leather to play with. The difference is amazing, especially after dealing with various import hides. Working with this stuff doesn't feel like work. I wish I would have tried it a long time ago.

I've attached a picture of my first two projects made with it.

To any others that haven't tried better leather due to cost, let me add my voice to the chorus: just do it. You'll thank yourself.

post-30093-0-29675600-1395351608_thumb.j

OMG, those are jaw dropping. Nice work. I think I need to try the Herman Oak now too. Beautiful work.

So, where did you buy it?

I got it at SLC. I'm not really at a place where I can order several hides at a time directly from HO, but maybe someday. I'd still like to try Wickett & Craig also, but I don't know if anybody sells it in smaller quantities.

What thickness did you use for those?

I got a couple of 6-7 ounce shoulders. This piece, if my measurements are correct, is right at 7oz.

Thanks for the kind comments. If you try it out, I'd be very interested to hear what you think. I'm fairly certain I can't be the only one to have experienced it.

Those are beautiful. I will be making a similar holster and am researching materials. I was under the impression that 8-9 oz was the standard for holster construction. I'm new to this whole thing and am deciding on my first hide purchase.

Those are beautiful. I will be making a similar holster and am researching materials. I was under the impression that 8-9 oz was the standard for holster construction. I'm new to this whole thing and am deciding on my first hide purchase.

I have made ten holsters so far - all using 6-7oz leather. It seems to be similar thickness to the factory made holster I've boughten over the years. Since I've started making my own, the factory made ones now live in my box o'holsters. I would speculate that 8-9oz would be more suitable for western style holsters or a law enforcement uniformed duty holster.

Edited by dakotawolf

BHPshooter,

Did you use a press to help form those? The boning detail is very good. That is the level of boning I am hoping to acheive someday, as that is what people seem to expect out of a custom made holster. Maybe if I made holsters for something other than Glocks... :dunno:

From what I've read, weight of leather seems to vary depending on use and preferences of the builder. For the IWB holster, 6-7 seems about right. I can see myself trying 7-8 or 8-9 for OWB holsters, though. I'm not at all unhappy with 6-7 for OWBs, but I'm going to be experimenting in the days ahead. :)

BHPshooter,

Did you use a press to help form those? The boning detail is very good. That is the level of boning I am hoping to acheive someday, as that is what people seem to expect out of a custom made holster. Maybe if I made holsters for something other than Glocks... :dunno:

I do use a press for the initial forming, but it really seems to do little for the detail that shows on the exterior of the holster. Rather, it seems that this part really seems to form the inside of the holster to the lines of the gun.

It's a 12 ton shop press from Harbor Freight. I put the mold (or the actual gun) in the holster, then squeeze it between two 12"x12"x1" sheets of 40 durometer rubber. I don't sqeeze the life out of it, just moderate pressure. Only some of the basic details of the gun will show through.

After that, I make sure my hands are clean, and then I begin to use finger pressure to mold the general details. This is what really helps me find the lines of the gun. Then I start using the molding tools. I've found that the tools I use most are the handle of my leather edger (sanded very smooth), my Tandy wooden edge slicker (also with ends sanded smooth), and a bone folder/creaser that I use for smoothing places like slide flats and for making the actual boning lines.

Also, casing leather properly beforehand really makes a difference -- and I mention this because it took me a long time to really get it. When you get the leather wet to insert the mold, it takes some time before the leather will really hold the details. I've seen lots of descriptions on here about recognizing when the leather is ready, but for me, it's this: When leather is really wet, it seems to take on the look (to my mind) of that gray/brown clay from Ceramics class. I usually let it sit for a while until the leather takes on more of a golden brown color, and doesn't seem to "squish" like wet shoes when you touch it.

It's totally possible to get some good boning detail around a Glock, but their lines are unique. It takes some experimenting. I just made one recently for a High School buddy's G21, but like an idiot, I didn't take a picture of it. :mad: I'll see if he can send me a pic.

BTW, I saw your thread, and I have to say, you're a lot farther along at your 7th holster than I was! Keep it up!

Wes

the level of detail increases exponentially with the weight of the leather..6/7 oz shows more detail and molds much easier than 8/9 oz. Start lining your holsters and the mold ing details on the exterior start to diminish rapidly.