darrensomers

Tandyleather Black Warrior Sides

You will probably never be able to stamp them, they are mainly designed for plain saddle bags or chaps. You might be able to do some light carving.

I hate to bash tandy, but they are a corporation & most of the leather they get is from Mexico. Mexico as you may know has a very different way of tanning. The leather is also over stretched, causing stretch marks. tandy just recently started handling Herman Oak, although in limited quantity.

All of my leather is purchased from Springfield Leather Company. Iv never had an issue with them.

They do advertise the Warrior Sides as Veg tan leather and say it can be tooled or embossed. I worry when you say I "soaked" a scrap. Try following a proper casing process and see if it makes it any easier to tool. Remember, you are tooling 8-9oz. leather, so it will take a hefty 16-20 oz. maul to stike with. Too wet or too dry and you will find it very difficult. Good luck!

Actually the surprised for me was when they told me at tandy that they were getting most of their leather from China.

That doesn't supprise me. They went corporate & never looked back.

That's why I go through Springfield Leather Company. Never had an issue with them.

Their tooling leather the last while has been beyond dreadful, I won't even buy it. I don't have a lot of choice up here and with the falling Canadian dollar it makes bringing from the US very expensive.

Edited by leatherwytch

Leatherwytch; You have Buckskin leather right there in Calgary. They have a large selection of hides in stock. I only wish they weren't 3000 miles away from me, so I could drop in for a look.

If you ever get to go to Springfield Leather do it. They give me a full tour.

It is truly AW inspiring. I was speechless with all the leather they have.

Leatherwytch; You have Buckskin leather right there in Calgary. They have a large selection of hides in stock. I only wish they weren't 3000 miles away from me, so I could drop in for a look.

As well as Longview leather in Longview, Plenty close enough. Tandy in Calgary is a special kind of nasty. The one in Surrey is huge and has all the leather layed out to see and feel. Calgary tandy just has samples in the front.....and is so small. I found myself with sore knees after a short while because they had product displayed on the walls right to the floor. I would rather not contort to see your product........Unfortunately buckskin has no hardware.

they are right off mcleod trail, just a bit north of tandy. 5220 - 1A Street S.E Calgary, Alberta T2H 1J1 Canada

I do, Gump, the thing is the woman there was such a bitch I would not go back. However, they have gotten rid of her so I will be going back there.

Actually the surprised for me was when they told me at tandy that they were getting most of their leather from China.

Interesting, if true. I know they were getting a lot of leather from South America in the past.

I purchased a double shoulder or the warrior when it was on sale av few months ago. I had had my eye on it. The thing is that not all of them are the same.

I gad to pick through them but there were a few that were stiffer and had really fine pebble grain pattern. Lots of wax in it and it burnishes wonderfully. Looks like black plastic. And it does tool.I didd just a tiny bit with some stamps.

I had talked about how there seemed to be two different leathers and he agreed that the newer stuff was different and that he much prefered the previous stuff.

I'm not sure if this is permanent change or just the one batch, but I imagine they changed the supplier and thus the product.

Looking at the sides thete seems to also be the older waxy awesome stuff and the newer less impressive stuff.

For all I know, it's just an inconsistent product. One piece of leather ends up in one place in the drm/pile/whatever and gets more or less of a tanning/dyeing/conditioning agent and comes out different.