Chavez

Carving A Thistle

Hi!

I've tried coming up with a thistle carving pattern but I just can't get it right! I have no trouble with leaves - effectively, a modified american oak - but I just can't get a decent-looking flower/acorn/pod/whatever that thing is =) The leaves end up looking good but the acorn bit looks like it's been carved by a 2 year old =(((

Has anyone ever carved a thistle and would you be so kind to let me have a look at the tooling used for the acorn? I'm not going to use colour so its hard to think of what tools to use to fill the space.

Thank you!

I did one 15 / 16 years ago no pictures though. For the life of me i can't remember what i did for the flower part. It turned out OK the lady liked it but it wasn't something i was real proud of. I did find these line drawings that might give you some ideals. https://www.google.com/search?q=thistle+line+drawing&hl=en&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=7lc&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=j0fbUJacH5DQ9ATK0IDoBw&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=880&bih=405

I'm not sure if you are having trouble with the shape or the detailing, but saw one that was done on a Targe at a highland games a couple of years ago. For the bottom of the flower it looked like detail cuts in a cross hatch pattern was used and then the flower itself just looked like they used a scratch awl or stylus and put in fine lines going out in the bloom then split the ends of the scratches into 3 or 4 points to give it that fuzzy effect. Could you post a pic of what your trying? It might help people make suggestions if we can see the piece :)

Edited by Havamal

The "cup" of a thistle flower is actually covered with small spikey scales or elongated bracts. Artichokes are members of the thistle family if that helps you visualize this. I've seen a small pointed mulesfoot used to make this effect rather than crosshatching with swivelknife cuts, but I unfortunately do not have a picture of this.

Anyway, try looking at the thistles at these links and see if they give you any additional ideas.

http://toto.lib.unca.edu/web_exhibits/museum_studies/fontaine/fontaine_nic_labels.htm

http://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/5685515/il_fullxfull.327597439.jpg

Thanks guys!

It's the detailing that doesn't look good. Lack of experience I guess..

Mulefoot sounds interesting - I was going to try it on my next draft.

I'll take a few photos of my first drafts and post them here. I did a cross-hatch pattern (like an oak acorn) but it doesn't look good.

I'll try the scales pattern & bevelling too... The "toto lib" link has a nice pattern.

I've seen a craftaid for a wallet that has pine cones and pine needles. This craftaid may help give and idea on how to carve a thistle flower which may be similar to the pine needles. I don't have this craftaid, but here's the link.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/leather-craft-patterns/craftaids-ind/74010-00.aspx

Scottish thistle pics - thought these might help

post-15330-0-94304500-1356605067_thumb.j post-15330-0-37445100-1356605088_thumb.j post-15330-0-23966300-1356605114_thumb.j post-15330-0-44424500-1356605128_thumb.j post-15330-0-99963200-1356605151_thumb.j

Well, I'm not sure if this is what you want, but; a while back I did a saddle for a lady that wanted a thistle border. I played with it for a bit and she jumped on the first thing I showed her and said it was exactly what she wanted. So this is what I did for her. Not fancy, but; again it is what she wanted. Sometimes simple is better.

Bob

post-8161-0-59644000-1356617059_thumb.jp

post-8161-0-19130500-1356617101_thumb.jp

post-8161-0-49292400-1356617137_thumb.jp

Haha! I think I figured out what's wrong with my drafts - I was trying to carve an oval pod while it's much better when it is carved like Bob did on his saddle!

Thank you very much for the photo - I'll try to draft some more thistles!

here are a couple of my latest drafts. pod sorted out but the petals are still bad =((

Any ideas on what tools to use? ;)

post-24937-0-52254600-1357430604_thumb.j

post-24937-0-97463400-1357430612_thumb.j

I think those look great! What o you mean by petals there is the pod, and the leaves, and the thistle.

I have an emboss plate made by duckcreektraders and here is what that look like

post-15330-0-95278300-1357431744_thumb.j the top 'thistle' is more like lines (or a brush)

Hope this helps

by the petals I mean the top.

I thought about leaving it blank and putting a lot of decorative lines with a swivel knife but not sure if it's going to look good and whether I can get enough consistency on them =/

I either end up with the "top" that's not detailed enough or just doesn't look natural. Either way it looks out of place when compared to the rest of the carving.

I'll try a few more ideas tomorrow =/

Leaf liner didn't work, camo didn't work,

From looking at your trial pieces, I think they bother you as they seem too substantial on the top part. The thistle is sort of wispy on top. I wonder if you used a hair blade along with decorative cuts, if you could get that effect.

btw - not sure you want to put acorns on your Scottish thistle... ?

post-15330-0-75733400-1357438651_thumb.j

I second using a hair blade. Try the fine and coarse to see which looks the best. I'm tending to the fine blade, since the thistle is wispy.

Tom

When I look at your trial pieces, I feel like the flower part... the purple part is over worked. The beveling doesn't enhance the fine detail, but rather makes it look somewhat like a scallop edged spoon. Sometimes LESS is more.

I think if you use a hair blade (or several pointy crafters xacto blades taped together) and make deft long cuts so that it looks a lot like hair... and then only do a little beveling around the entire flower (purple) part and the bulbous area, you will be much happier with the results.

Thanks guys, I'll try it this week. Don't have any good quality hair blades but let's see if the cheap one works...