Elephants

Hi all

Just finished. Size 20"x20" , front animals are embossed for better 3D effect

post-16366-0-57901300-1380978456_thumb.j

post-16366-0-95583600-1380978485_thumb.j

post-16366-0-33818500-1380978524_thumb.j

post-16366-0-74209400-1380978550_thumb.j

post-16366-0-97414100-1380978576_thumb.j

Very nice work. Hope to see more of your work.

God Bless.

Ray

Really beautiful work of a really beautiful animal. Cheryl

I really like your work. It is very creative.

Hi Compound,

I really like the elephant and Africa work you've done.

Could you perhaps give me a few guidelines to follow - I am going to try my hand at the Africa BIG 5 on a rifle bag.

See my line drawing, but I am struggling to find info on how to let it stand out.

Also which tools should I use?

Any suggestions from the guys that know how!!!

post-51328-0-32631000-1397591132_thumb.j

Hi Compound,

I really like the elephant and Africa work you've done.

Could you perhaps give me a few guidelines to follow - I am going to try my hand at the Africa BIG 5 on a rifle bag.

See my line drawing, but I am struggling to find info on how to let it stand out.

Also which tools should I use?

Any suggestions from the guys that know how!!!

I suggest you get a copy of Al Stohlman's book "Figure Carving Finesse". You may as well learn from "The Master" !

Should be easy to find online......they come up once in a while on eBay also.

Have included a few snapshots of pages from the book.

Also, to make them really stand out....you may wish to use the embossing technique for which Al Stohlman wrote a very good book. By doing a search on here, you will find information from other leatherworker.net members on the technique.

post-13007-0-39609200-1397595030_thumb.j

post-13007-0-08242800-1397595042_thumb.j

post-13007-0-39785400-1397595061_thumb.j

post-13007-0-12437000-1397595079_thumb.j

post-13007-0-51873400-1397595097_thumb.j

post-13007-0-02194700-1397595116_thumb.j

Edited by WyomingSlick

Figure Carving Finesse and pattern pack are downloadable as eBooks from Tandy.

Tom

I never even thought of that, but now that you brought it up......I can see where eBooks would be a very good alternative for those buyers who are not near a source for them. Save a bit on the cost and zero bucks for postage. Then there is the fact that if a fellow had it it on his laptop/notebook he could study it easily in his free time.

Having never bought any of the electronic stuff from TLF, perhaps someone who has, could give us a review of how good they are and tell us about their ease of use, the resolution and sharpness of pages printed from them, and so forth.

GREAT STUFF!!!

Thanks guys for the info. I was looking at the book on Tandy website, but could not figure out the contents.

The pages you downloaded - switched on the light for me. As we say: "I just had a light bulb moment!!!"

I'll check with Woodheads in Cape Town - they stock Tandy items or else I'll use the ebooks route

I really appreciate your time and effort.

Cheers

I never even thought of that, but now that you brought it up......I can see where eBooks would be a very good alternative for those buyers who are not near a source for them. Save a bit on the cost and zero bucks for postage. Then there is the fact that if a fellow had it it on his laptop/notebook he could study it easily in his free time.Having never bought any of the electronic stuff from TLF, perhaps someone who has, could give us a review of how good they are and tell us about their ease of use, the resolution and sharpness of pages printed from them, and so forth.

I have a few. How to Carve Leather by Stohlman is 53 pages, 33 MB, pages are 12 x 18" as are the originals. At 200% magnification! the lines are sharp. At 400%, the lines are getting some fuzzies. The scan is in colour. So the quality is very good. And you can print any part of it at what ever scale fits your purposes. Looks like 600 dpi if I've done my math right.

Tom

I have bought a few of the Al Stohlman ebooks. I think they are very good. I can read them about anywhere. I like that I can print out just the page/pages I want and take to the shop. Most are in the large format of the oringinal books and are scaled down when printed. If you want full size, like for the holster making book with patterns, you can take the PDF to Staples and have them printed. Although it is probably cheaper to just by the book if you intend to have the printed there. But, yes, the quality is good.

Tom

Figure Carving Finesse Book & Pattern Pack by Al Stolman

Retail Cost at store.........about 45 bucks for both

Give away price on eBay...... $5.95 + s&h...about 12 bucks

Awesome elephants. This is my attempt at an elephant

Emily1_zps3434cc24.jpg

I have purchased several ebooks from Tandy. I love them. They are all pdf files. You can cut and paste them to other graphic editing software. I like to cut and paste into Autocad drafting software, then I can trace them to create blocks to be used in various projects. I can scale them to any size I want. Once I save it to a drawing, I can reuse it anywhere I want. A great way to save time, not having to redraw something