wolvenstien

do contests or comparisons online with people voting for their favorites

Well, ahem, there once upon a time was a company that considered "putting on the show" and establishing the world class standard. They invented the prestigious "Al Stohlman Award". Then there was a guild that grew so big that putting on an international show was discussed, but there was too much apathy to pursue it seriously. The Al Stohlman Award was turned over to the one magazine that caters to carvers, but is not available on your local newstand, so companies have trouble justifying the expense of the advertising. Leatherland is not very well organized, with the exception of the cooperation of the IFoLG member guilds.

I think we could easily do contests or comparisons online with people voting for their favorites. I could ask around for donation prizes. I'd need a few of you to volunteer to judge so no one knows who did what until winners are announced. Wolvie, you're in charge of getting a few people to judge and suggest some ideas for patterns, guidelines, dates etc I'll set up an area where you guys can hash out the details privately, then you can announce it on the main board. If you're interested in leatherworker.net competitions, post here or PM Wolvie.

Meanwhile, I need to get back to work on the member galleries. Don't forget to send me pictures and a bio so I can include your business, hobby or smiling face! gallery@leatherworker.net

Johanna

(still waiting for Dan's stuff! LOL)

Ok, as the topic implies and the first repost of Johannas says...

Lets talk about putting on a contest, one that you are not required to be a member of a guild to enter, and can be entered by all.

I am only putting this out as a suggestion, I was thrown into this by opening my big mouth, but would like my fellow members here to add your input to this and help us create something that we might want to make as an anual or semi anual event for the members here.

First off, I would like a handfull of members to volunteer as Judges. As a judge, you will not be permitted to enter the contest, so if this is something you would like to partisipate in as a contestant, then dont volunteer as a judge. I am thinking three judges and two alternitive judges incase something happens to one or more of the first judges. Post back here suggestions for a carving: I would like something that is on the beginner level, and that has complete directions so the beginner can do it, but even the experts can enter using the same carving.... (remember there are no rules yet so I am only throwing this out there and everything will be discussed by the judges and then put out for the members... ) everyone knows what level you are so when it is submitted, you tell what your level is and it will be judged accordingly.

Lets get something started....

Also...

If anyone out there wants to donate soemthing for the winners of each class... or whatever, please speak up about that too.

Thanks

Mike

I like the idea of something that is on a beginner level just because I am a beginner and it would help me a ton to be able to do some of these... I just got finished with one that I might post but personally I am semi happy with it... need to work on my tracing more than anything...

from a purely administrative stand point...i think in the contest structure you'd beable to have a couple of levels in the competition...like a best newbie and best old hat winner...that way someone who's just starting out could actually compete against someone who's done this from the womb...just the monkey's 2 cents

I think this is a great idea, and had wondered about it before, but was wise enough to keep my mouth shut to avoid Johanna tasking me with it! :lol:

Regardless, I'd like to see this or a similar competition take place each year in June to celebrate the anniversary of Leatherworker.net. (We have to do something special, don't we??)

Also, I think there should be a Member's Choice category, maybe completely unrestricted, with holsters, pool cue cases and motorcycle seats all competing against each other, and members voting in a poll for the winner.

I'd be glad to help with this, so just let me know...

Best, -Alex

This is all a great idea as "something to strive for" beyond personal (or customer) satisfaction. That member's or "Best in Show" would be a hoot.

Some thoughts......

- entries would have to be something not posted previously

- define beginner (e.g. 1, 2, or 5 years experience or perhaps anyone started since last contest)

- giving points or rank to all entries so participants would really know how they grade or stack up (close to winning or long long way to improve)

Really tough job for the judges and any entry fee should go to the judges or split between judges and leatherworker.net

Regis

This is all a great idea as "something to strive for" beyond personal (or customer) satisfaction. That member's or "Best in Show" would be a hoot.

Some thoughts......

- entries would have to be something not posted previously

- define beginner (e.g. 1, 2, or 5 years experience or perhaps anyone started since last contest)

- giving points or rank to all entries so participants would really know how they grade or stack up (close to winning or long long way to improve)

Really tough job for the judges and any entry fee should go to the judges or split between judges and leatherworker.net

Regis

Unless the powers that be say different, I dont believe there would be any entry fees.... if there are, it would be very minimal, and go for the server costs and whatnot I am sure...

As for a "best in show" I guess that would be ok, if the contestant, wanted to enter thier item to be judged along side everything else outside of his/her experiance range....

As for setting limits on experiance, I dont think setting a year limit would work... I am less than a year, and perhaps look like less than a year, but others could have 10 years and still be "new" in thier work..... and someone with two years could be experianced enough to compete against someone with +5 years... this would be a matter of self catagorization, and there would be no reason for someone who knows they are working as an expert to enter as a beginner... honesty goes along way here...

Anyone outside of ABN want to judge and get in on this?

I think the idea of judging in June as a memorial to this site would be great and is an awesome idea!

ABN, you have a PM.

Unless the powers that be say different, I dont believe there would be any entry fees.... if there are, it would be very minimal, and go for the server costs and whatnot I am sure...

As for a "best in show" I guess that would be ok, if the contestant, wanted to enter thier item to be judged along side everything else outside of his/her experiance range....

As for setting limits on experiance, I dont think setting a year limit would work... I am less than a year, and perhaps look like less than a year, but others could have 10 years and still be "new" in thier work..... and someone with two years could be experianced enough to compete against someone with +5 years... this would be a matter of self catagorization, and there would be no reason for someone who knows they are working as an expert to enter as a beginner... honesty goes along way here...

Anyone outside of ABN want to judge and get in on this?

I think the idea of judging in June as a memorial to this site would be great and is an awesome idea!

ABN, you have a PM.

you can put me down as a volunteer.

Are you going to form a show commitee or use the judges for that offense too?

Kind Regards

Blake

Blake

how about NO contest.

What about a gathering of sorts. I'de love to meet the folks that I've met online with this forum. No contest or prizes or anything. How's about we just meet, fellowship and swap techniques, tools, experiences, etc.

I think that the thought of a contest changes the mind seet of many people- egos are deflated or raised, fear of showing your work to others to be "judged" verbally or mentally, low self-esteemed artists and blowhards, etc.

why don't we rent a hotel and just have a nice weekend

pea-aire'

One more thought- Wildrose is looking for donated tools. I'm sure that there are others out there with similar needs and projects going on. we could post those needs before the meeting and help out. I'm a musician by trade (fiddle, electric jazz mandolin, bluegrass acoustic, and keyboards). I know that Jeff Mosby is a player and it wouldn't surpride me to find a dozen or more who also play.

We could have a 30 min. get together to set a list and play for the event.

Pete, you gonna flip the bill on the hotel? That would go more into what Johanna said about lots of people not traveling... and what not... I myself am not going anywhere unless it is right here in my back yard... I have been a member of several groups online, and most of them have meet and greets at least once a year, in different locations, and I have never been to one even though I would love to meet these people who have shared so selflessly with me and educated me in whatever the group was about. I cant speak for anyone else, but I am sure there are others like me, not to mentions tose who cannot afford to teavel, or get off work, or have family issues, or whatever...

it is a nice thought, and would be something to maybe shoot for in the future, but I dont think this is something that is logisticly feasible in the now.

Mike

how about NO contest.

What about a gathering of sorts. I'de love to meet the folks that I've met online with this forum. No contest or prizes or anything. How's about we just meet, fellowship and swap techniques, tools, experiences, etc.

I think that the thought of a contest changes the mind seet of many people- egos are deflated or raised, fear of showing your work to others to be "judged" verbally or mentally, low self-esteemed artists and blowhards, etc.

why don't we rent a hotel and just have a nice weekend

pea-aire'

A get together is still a nice idea. Not necessarily a "take time off, get a hotel room" kinda thing, but if we could make a series of events that were within a day's travel of a good sized group - like to an area Tandy - that could work.

Baltimore is about 3 hrs for me, but Allentown is less than 1. Harrisburg's Leather Factory warehouse would be an option for me too. Heck, I'd even throw in a trip to my folks' in VA or inlaws in OH, if there were people 'round there wanting to get together.

Oh well.... so much for comeraderie and the pleaure of just hanging out with others of similiar interest. I was willing to drive from arkansas but apparently there are many who wouldn't drive across town unless they could go home with a $.15 blue ribbon or a Bob Beard tool.

NOt bitter at all- just surprised at the response.

One good way to meet folks that are online is to schedule a meeting time/place at one of the existing major show/events. No, everyone won't be there but, there is no place outside cyberspace that everyone can get to.

For example, everyone that goes to the Ifolg in Texas can meet on Friday...at 4PM at one of the hotel resturants. Could easily have a sign-up list in this forum.

But, I still think the graded online contest is excellent idea (if we can find willing judges). Judging is a lot of work (personal experience in jewelry designs). Might be easier online???

Regis

Would you want a finnished project? One that has been dye or color added as not all have the same skills. Or just the finnished tooling with nothing added. One that is complete? Ready for the customer. Just some questions.

Oscar

Pete, I dont know about traveling for a ribbon or a Bob Beard tool, I cannot speak for everyone else on the board... As I said, it is a good idea, and possibly something that can be worked out in the future...

Make a post, and see if anyone wants to get together for the Fourth of July celebrations coming up or maybe some other date. I dont own this site, Johanna does, and as she says, we are all part of it, so make a post, and ask.. it wont hurt anything... I was given the task of putting together a contest for everyone on this site who wants to partisipate.

Like Pete, I'm up for travel. But I can understand the point of view of those who can't/choose not to as well. I think having an online contest is a great idea, and it's been done by an online guild before, with good success. I'd suggest at this stage setting the guidelines (as others are asking about: i.e. who will judge, is the project to be stained/finished, prizes, etc etc). Take names of who is willing to be on a "committe" to do this, and go from there. Once the committee has made the rules up, send a post out with the details and deadlines.

Well Rose, you wanna be a commity member?

Wolvie- send me your list and I'll set up a private area for your contest committee this afternoon. I'm sure Holly would be a great help for a hundred reasons, and she also knows what was successful and what didn't work for other leather groups in the past.

Johanna

i really don't have time for a project for the contest but, i would be happy to help out if you need me:)

I would be interested in a contest, while I've worked with leather for a few years, I'm still pretty much an amateur. If you all get together on the format and pattern I'll try to enter something. The critque from more knowledgeable leathercarvers, would be more than worth the effort not even counting the fun of doing the project. I am like the wolf, as far as traveling goes. My wife has severe spinal problems, no disc left in her lower back, plus I have a really bad case of diabetes and diabetic neurothopy so we don't usually be able to get too far from home. Sometimes it's tough just to go to the grocery store and around to pay bills,LOL. Anyway count me in and I'll try to enter and help if I can Billy P