celticpride

Leather Tools & Supplys

I have been looking for some good and descent leather tools that don't cost an arm and a leg with your first born child. I would like it if some one has any info that would help me find good tools and supply's so i could get into working with leather, I have done some leather fly swatter's with my dad using his tools but not being any where close to where he is at this time i have no tools to use.

I have been looking for some good and descent leather tools that don't cost an arm and a leg with your first born child. I would like it if some one has any info that would help me find good tools and supply's so i could get into working with leather, I have done some leather fly swatter's with my dad using his tools but not being any where close to where he is at this time i have no tools to use.

First welcome to the forum it's a great place to learn lots about leathercraft and a lot of great folks here willing to help. Now to your question, good quality leather tools are expensive, they last a life time but they cost money. Most people start with Tandy, that is as inexpensive as you can get, they have one in most major cities and they have a great internet sales site. Their tools are cheaper than most, but they are also cheaper than most. Most leather workers graduate from Tandy to the better tool makers at some point, although some people use Tandy tools and supplies forever. It is a personal choice. I assume you want to do fly swatters, if you want to do something else, post it out here and some one will answer back with the tools you need. Many tools (razor knives, rulers, tri-squares, etc. can be purchased from home improvement centers like Lowes and Home Depot, they are less expensive than Tandy and better quality in most instances. However, leather specific tools, edgers, stamps, round knives, etc will have to be purchased from a leather supplier or on Ebay or at yard sales, since you've worked with your father and know what tools you used then you may find some good tools on ebay, my experience is that most of the tools on Ebay are for sale at retail prices and can be purchased at the suppliers for the same money, there are some exceptions. Good luck and welcome to leathercraft.

Chief