Monkmania

Singer 211W151 Or 111W155

Hi there, I'm new to this forum but decided to join as you kept popping up with lots of information, while I did my searches!

I've been making leather baby booties and have decided it's time to start selling. I am on a pretty tight budget and have narrowed the search down to one of the above two sewing machines. I live near Ottawa, Ontario and am finding it very difficult to locate any! There is a 211 for sale but don't know if perhaps the 111w would be something I should continue to search for.

Any advice would be really helpful as I'm slowing going crazy with all the options and the little knowledge I have as I start this endeavour!

The 211 will likely do what you need it to, but there's been some comments that the 211 isn't quite the machine that the 111 is. If you need to get into production, grab the 211. If you just prefer the 111, then you could use the 211 until you're able to find the 111.

I have worked with both (but with reverse) and I prefer the 111 since the 211 as a very small hand wheel. But that does not mean the 211 is a bad machine, both work fine but depends on the overall condition and setup. If you can´t find a 111 buy the 211 and I´m sure it will do the job!

The 211w151 is bottom and needle feed only. The presser foot is static. Clearance under the foot is either set to 1/4" or 3/8", depending on the needle system it was set up to use. Those become the maximum thicknesses that can be sewn.

The job of the presser foot is to hold down the material as the stitches are formed. If the material is tough it can lift with the needle and this causes skipped stitches. To keep hard leather from lifting, you'll need to increase the pressure on the foot. The higher the foot pressure, the more drag it exerts on the leather. This can reduce the length of your stitches, or bend the needle.

I just bought a 211W151, servo motor and table. I spent some time studying this machine before I bought it. I didn't have a lot of money to work with, but considering what was for sale and my low budget, I'm happy with what I got. I noticed that it's getting  a bit more than 5 spi, and after 5 inches it gains 2 extra stiches. I don't know if I can adjust that.  But if any one knows how could they please tell me.  It was out of Time and  needed some work before I could use it. But for getting something to do leather and doing car seat repair its great for the price at this time.

48 minutes ago, charliegamer007 said:

I just bought a 211W151, servo motor and table. I spent some time studying this machine before I bought it. I didn't have a lot of money to work with, but considering what was for sale and my low budget, I'm happy with what I got. I noticed that it's getting  a bit more than 5 spi, and after 5 inches it gains 2 extra stiches. I don't know if I can adjust that.  But if any one knows how could they please tell me.  It was out of Time and  needed some work before I could use it. But for getting something to do leather and doing car seat repair its great for the price at this time.

Please start a new topic about your machine and its issues.