wcalvert

Needle Shuttle Timing On Consew 226-1

Title says it all. Does anyone have specifics on where the needle should be in relation to the shuttle hook during operation?

I can see where it's adjusted, just want to put it in factory specs.

Manual doesn't address this specifically.

Thanks so much!

Bill

Take the end cover over first. Timed much the same as a Singer 111W155. Take needle to Bottom Dead Center (BDC). This you can see by the eccentric arm at the end of the machine. Continue to raise needle by means of the balance wheel and by hand until it has risen about 3/32" from BDC. End of hook should be in center of scarf of needle about 1/8" above eye of needle. That will normally tell you if hook is early or late. Adjustments to the hook can be made by loosening the set screws on the vertical gear that drives the hook. This is assuming the needle bar is at the right height. It was nice back in the early days when needle bars had timing marks on them.

glenn

Thanks... That's what I've done and it seems to work. Agree that some sort of timing mark and an alignment mark to orient the needle bar rotation would be great.

Seems to be working,

Bill

P.S. I found an early manual for a model 30 that's titled "Operating Instructions, Parts list and Maintenance Procedures". Great document, wish it existed for the 226