Sign in to follow this  
pepin1948

Tandy briefcases kits?

I've made bunches of these when they were available, but can't even find one on eBay now. I need the case to replace the one I have that I'd made myself years back. The panel had come out really well, and gets alot of comments. Rather than make a different one, I'd like to remove the panel and put it on a new case. The case I have is coming apart at the stitching by the latching mechanisms.

If you have one you'd be willing to part with, please let me know.

Well I sure don't know where you can get those but here is an idea for you. I had a customer that really liked the hard Samsonite breifcases but he wanted portraits of his pet wolves on it. So my only choice was to mount it using chicago screws but they would have looked really junky so I made a border to hide them. It was so lonag ago I don't recall exactly how I did it but I do have a picture.

David Genadek

wolves.jpg

post-999-1198114321_thumb.jpg

Here is another idea. I make quite a few of these throughout the year. I buy a regular hardside briefcase. I have done these on the aluminums, the leather covered board style, and the leatherettes and fiberboards, depending on customer's wishes. I attach them with 3/8 Hi Dome engraved conchos from Hansen's. They are basically a small engraved domed concho and look like engraved spots with a post and screw back. Weavers used to sell them too, but Hansen's are across town. On some I just use the HiDomes, on others I use conchos in the corners. I have attached a couple examples.

Copy_of_Brief_Cases_017__Small_.jpg

Copy_of_Brief_Cases_018__Small_.jpg

post-29-1198115270_thumb.jpg

post-29-1198115291_thumb.jpg

Holly,

I think that Dale Grabowski is making and selling wooden frames for brief cases.

Holly,

I think that Dale Grabowski is making and selling wooden frames for brief cases.

Yes he is, I bought one from him in Sheridan, but have not had a chance to do anything with it yet. It comes with all the hardware. Can't remember the cost.

WOW!!!!!!!!!

You guys do fantastic work. I envy you.

Edited by Kani

I appreciate the tips, and man those are gorgeous cases! I knew Dale sold cases too. My dilemma is that I really like the panel on my current case and want to put it on the same style case again. That's why I'm looking for the Tandy ones. But at least I have some options if I don't find one...

Call Tandy.... they can search all the stores and see if one out of all the stores they have has one in stock... tucked away in a back room somewhere....