Sign in to follow this  
chancey77

57 Panhead All Saints Seat

I didn't really want to write a tutorial on this seat...after all a picture says a thousand words:)

So here is 3 days to conjure carve and mount this seat for my friend and client on his home built 57 Panhead! He made a lot of the custom metal parts for the bike. Like the Brass Crown gas cap which is amazing!

Beginning with my seat pan, and some thin neoprene, because it is a springer it didn't need much padding.

All the way through the end of 3 days when we mounted it and he kick started his bike and left my shop:)

I know some folks wanted to see some Brush techniques and here is a decent example....there is a few more of my secrets buried in these phots, so if you study them you can get some easy time savers...I tried to show the tools I used during the process...except for ya i din't paint the dye on with a hammer...hahaha

Anyway ENJOY! You can't as much as Kaj does but hey, you gotta build your own bike for that!

Chancey

post-28433-014913100 1330124391_thumb.jp

post-28433-058791200 1330124397_thumb.jp

post-28433-006108400 1330124517_thumb.jp

post-28433-090955300 1330124523_thumb.jp

post-28433-005510600 1330124533_thumb.jp

post-28433-037079800 1330124538_thumb.jp

post-28433-035527800 1330124549_thumb.jp

post-28433-065522100 1330124571_thumb.jp

.I tried to show the tools I used during the process...except for ya i din't paint the dye on with a hammer...hahaha

Man, and here I thought you were giving me the number 1 secret to an awesome seat :rofl:

Excellent work as always. Now you got me staring at it trying to see what I can find - like one of those magic eye posters. But, I got the "Chancey beveler" and a half a cow sitting here - so I think I can figure something out

:cheers:

WOW! That is sweet. 3 days... now I am really feeling like a slacker.

Well don't feel that bad...you work with reptiles...I work with leather everyday...so ya it had actually been 2 days for the leather,,,,now that I think about it more...no it was 3 days the seat pan had to be made by hand!!!!!!!....evillaugh.gif

Edited by chancey77

I'm very happy with that beveler. I was thinking about getting a couple more and cutting them down to a narrower base for tight curves and stuff. But, you only have the one, right? Any tips for working it in those tight spots?

I still can't believe those things haven't caught on. I spent 5 minutes beveling this last night (free hand fun, don't judge my lettering), instead of the hour plus it might have taken me with a standard beveler.

Freehand practice with new tools

sorry to jack your awesome seat post, but it's "tutorial" related.

I'm very happy with that beveler. I was thinking about getting a couple more and cutting them down to a narrower base for tight curves and stuff. But, you only have the one, right? Any tips for working it in those tight spots?

I still can't believe those things haven't caught on. I spent 5 minutes beveling this last night (free hand fun, don't judge my lettering), instead of the hour plus it might have taken me with a standard beveler.

Freehand practice with new tools

sorry to jack your awesome seat post, but it's "tutorial" related.

OMG ! That is looking sweet! You are surely walking a little faster now with the right tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One little tip for you is always work toward yourself and try to get the pressure to be more on the corner that is away from you and make sure you are right on the swivel cut...I still cross the line from time to time, but it is ok:) When you brush dye it that little mistake will go away:)

For the tight spots I just tilt the tool and use the corner, pushing away the corner closest to me, pulling the tool in tight spots i use the corner that is away from me...putting one on the belt sander and trimming it narrower would probably work for sure! But I have always gotten away with just the one i have...there have been a couple times I did wish it was skinnier....I also just posted some progress on todays work...the 51'FORD PROJECT! CHECK IT OUT!

HERE IS THE BRUSH BREAK DOWN AS WELL:) PAGE 5 IN THE NEW BOOK....CONVERSATIONS WITH A CYBERTHRASHER...HAHAHA

post-28433-048614200 1330208031_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

OMG ! That is looking sweet! You are surely walking a little faster now with the right tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One little tip for you is always work toward yourself and try to get the pressure to be more on the corner that is away from you and make sure you are right on the swivel cut...I still cross the line from time to time, but it is ok:) When you brush dye it that little mistake will go away:)

For the tight spots I just tilt the tool and use the corner, pushing away the corner closest to me, pulling the tool in tight spots i use the corner that is away from me...putting one on the belt sander and trimming it narrower would probably work for sure! But I have always gotten away with just the one i have...there have been a couple times I did wish it was skinnier....I also just posted some progress on todays work...the 51'FORD PROJECT! CHECK IT OUT!

HERE IS THE BRUSH BREAK DOWN AS WELL:) PAGE 5 IN THE NEW BOOK....CONVERSATIONS WITH A CYBERTHRASHER...HAHAHA

Yeah, I was having issues staying directly on the cut a few times. That thing gets pretty slick. My main issues with the size of it were the loops on the letters and the smaller connecting lines in the web. Probably wouldn't have normally did those with it, but it was a test drive to see what it will do. I was angling it, but probably just need more practice. At $3 a piece though, I'll probably still be getting a couple more. As you can see, I also picked up a matting tool and a full set of pebblers (it's nice having each size to get where you need). Feels good to finally bust out of the Tandy "Lucky" 7 crap.

I was going to ask about your brushes. Are those all camel hair? Any brand you've found works the best for you?

I'm getting ready to start work with a buddy of mine street/rat rodding (if I'm allowed more input it will be more rat than street) his old 52 Chevy pickup. I mentioned your door panels and he thought it was a cool idea.

Definitely stick with that title for the upcoming book :thumbsup:

Hey very nice work both of you. I use a beveler in one of my swivels as well. It came with a bunch of tools I bought from a guy. I would like to get a few more to be able to size them but haven't been able to run across one local to me. I have a tandy right down the road but they don't carry them, well at least anymore they don't.

Hey very nice work both of you. I use a beveler in one of my swivels as well. It came with a bunch of tools I bought from a guy. I would like to get a few more to be able to size them but haven't been able to run across one local to me. I have a tandy right down the road but they don't carry them, well at least anymore they don't.

Springfield Item #011-43.

http://springfieldleather.com/4271/Blade%2CPlastic%2CBeveler/

Thanks Cyberthrasher. I'm headed there I think Wednesday if things go well. I would be sick if something happened to mine.

Thanks Cyberthrasher. I'm headed there I think Wednesday if things go well. I would be sick if something happened to mine.

Just don't go buying them out of stock :)

I was going to make one out of delrin but that's crazy cheap. I've been wwanting to check out Springfield Leather badly but something always comes up.

Back to the seat. I'm luving that pan, did you die form it or just heat and beat?

Creaser, shrinker and english wheel:)

Creaser, shrinker and english wheel:)

Right on, thought for sure you did. I don't have a wheel anymore, the one I had was cheap junk anyway. I use 10 gauge and put the heat to it and go from there.

I didn't really want to write a tutorial on this seat...after all a picture says a thousand words:)

So here is 3 days to conjure carve and mount this seat for my friend and client on his home built 57 Panhead! He made a lot of the custom metal parts for the bike. Like the Brass Crown gas cap which is amazing!

Beginning with my seat pan, and some thin neoprene, because it is a springer it didn't need much padding.

All the way through the end of 3 days when we mounted it and he kick started his bike and left my shop:)

I know some folks wanted to see some Brush techniques and here is a decent example....there is a few more of my secrets buried in these phots, so if you study them you can get some easy time savers...I tried to show the tools I used during the process...except for ya i din't paint the dye on with a hammer...hahaha

Anyway ENJOY! You can't as much as Kaj does but hey, you gotta build your own bike for that!

Chancey

Uhhhh-ahhh love the scooter!!!

Love the seat!!!

Love the color of sheet metal......now all you need is some gold leaf on that orange....I can see it clear and sharp....right smack in the middle of that beautiful candy mandarin orange.....nice!!

Just got into gold leaf myself latly....love it...need more praktice...haha...

Ohhh and back to the seat!!>>>> you do some real sick work there, awesome....rich colors and a tad of Xiang? leather style....sort of bold and such!!

Very nice my friend....must be the clear fresh air in Helsinki!!

Aloha and greetings

please keep up the gud work!!

Jimbob

ZEN AND THE ART OF MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE! AHAHAHA

I am sure there is some gold leaf coming it was on his last paint job, that was right after he rebuilt the bike for the 3rd time in 8 years:)

ZEN AND THE ART OF MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE! AHAHAHA

I am sure there is some gold leaf coming it was on his last paint job, that was right after he rebuilt the bike for the 3rd time in 8 years:)

If you can't afford a new bike, rebuild the one you got :thumbsup:

I need to get back to pinstriping too. Got a plain satin tank just begging for some One Shot.

Uhhhh-ahhh love the scooter!!!

Love the seat!!!

Love the color of sheet metal......now all you need is some gold leaf on that orange....I can see it clear and sharp....right smack in the middle of that beautiful candy mandarin orange.....nice!!

Just got into gold leaf myself latly....love it...need more praktice...haha...

Ohhh and back to the seat!!>>>> you do some real sick work there, awesome....rich colors and a tad of Xiang? leather style....sort of bold and such!!

Very nice my friend....must be the clear fresh air in Helsinki!!

Aloha and greetings

please keep up the gud work!!

Jimbob

Jimbob

What is xiang?

Jimbob

What is xiang?

Jimbob is referring to Christian- Xian Leather....his coloring and craft is SICK!!!!!!

Jimbob is referring to Christian- Xian Leather....his coloring and craft is SICK!!!!!!

Lemme from Cycle Source just did a pretty cool little article on Christian. It actually left me pretty inspired. Now, if I can just figure out how he gets his color and shading, I'll be golden.

Lemme from Cycle Source just did a pretty cool little article on Christian. It actually left me pretty inspired. Now, if I can just figure out how he gets his color and shading, I'll be golden.

Photoshop......and an airbrush:) hahahaha

And well, JUST BEING A SICK MUTHA FUKKKKA!

Edited by chancey77