kickboxr

Stitching Horse

Hi,

I am completely green at leather working, but I do want to hand stitch a bag for my wife's ipad. I am looking for a stitching horse, but don't know where to find one. I saw one on ebay but it was already sold. If anyone knows where I can find one like this one (Stitchng Horse Picture), I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much for your help in advance. Regards,

Jesse

Hi,

I am completely green at leather working, but I do want to hand stitch a bag for my wife's ipad. I am looking for a stitching horse, but don't know where to find one. I saw one on ebay but it was already sold. If anyone knows where I can find one like this one (Stitchng Horse Picture), I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much for your help in advance. Regards,

Jesse

Depending on your budget you might consider buying a Workmate and making your own jaws to go into it. The Workmate would be available for other jobs as well. (I"m not connected to Black & Decker in any fashion.)

one of the al stohlman books (hand stitching leather maybe??) has a drawing in the back for a stitching horse that you can make yourself. it seems fairly easy to do if you're halfway proficient at woodworking. even if you're not, you might know someone that could build it for you.

If your in a pinch the 12 inch Jorgenson type screw clamps work really well and yoou can screw some longer boards on them to make them deeper, the pawn shop I go to sells knockoffs for about 10.00.

Peace

Bryan

Thank you all so much for your responses. In a hurry (impatience), I think I am going to use the clamps or get a jawhorse and use that now.:) Thank you again very much.

If anyone wants an inexpesnive, but very functional stitching horse/pony I would recommend the Al Stohlman Stitching horse plans in the back of his hand sewing book. I used the plans to build myself one and am very happy with how it performs. I don't think I will go to anything different. The only thing that I did differnt was use a oak hard wood for the jaws and it seems to put as tight of a grip on anything you want to put in it. I opted for just using the front legs, that way I can sit in my office chair and lean back if i need a break, or pivot and roll around to reach things on my work bench, while never having to get up from the stitching horse.

The best feature I found with this style of Stitching horse is having the lever that is on the side that pushes down with the handle sticking out towards the front of the stitching horse. To me this is the best because it is out of the way and easily accessable and unlike some I have used, that you use your foot that you can accidentally kick open, or ones that are perpindicular to the jaws hit you in the shin, or the back of the calf seem to make it a bit uncomfortable when sewing for a long period of time.

I just use two pieces of board in a vice. Then I got fancy and hinged a couple boards together which I squeeze with a c clamp. The fancy one can be c clamped to my favorite desk top. A stitching horse is great but plenty of stitching gets done without them.