Sign in to follow this  
Jaymack

Preventing A Dye Mixing Mess?

It might just be me or my shaky hands, but it there a way to mix/cut Fiebings dye with denatured alcohol without spilling the dye and making a mess? The dye always runs back down the bottle when I'm pouring it.

Thanks,

John

Use pippettes or syringes to pull small amounts from a bottle, but with shakey hands like mine, don't knock over thr bottle! Brace it against something so you can use two hands to steady the syringe.

Tom

Large syringe...great idea! I think I have one for injecting seasoning for deep frying a turkey. Thanks guys!

A turky baster (like a large eyedropper) works well. Some have actual measurements on them. You can use the baster in one hand and hold the bottle with the other. Go to dollar store to by them, they will be cheap there, and get one for each color you use. That way you can let them dry and reuse them for the same color next time. You don't need to do all kinds of cleanout if you use one for each color. Write the color on the baster up near the bulb with a sharpe marker. I get the cheap plastic food storage containers there too and use them for a dye basin. Again, mark the dish with a marker so you know what color you used it for.

I like regular syringes from the feed store livestock section for some projects, however have found that some solvents/chemicals used in dyes, etc, will sometimes eat away the rubber end of the syringe stopper and render it useless, that's why I now use the turkey basters.

Happy dying, hope this is helpful, Viking Queen