Sign in to follow this  
bruce johnson

My travelogue for Sheridan

I am starting this thread kind of as a travel planner. If you go to another shop, and learn something or do "market research", it may be deductible too. Feel free to add other places worth the stop.

Currently I am in Denver at a go-along deal with my wife at a conference. Yesterday we went up to Brighton Feed and Saddlery. A lot have probably seen their ads in the magazines. Give this place a definite "honey, we are going to Brighton" if you are in the area. Fine folks to talk with. They are not kidding when they say they have 450 saddles. They have the room of factory saddles like everyone else. Also a bunch of McCalls, but that is expected. The new area is pretty cool. Where else do you see new saddles by Platte Valley, Cary Schwarz, William Hape, Pedro Pedrini, and the last saddle that Chester was reported to work on, with his son William? Brain freeze this morning, but also a couple by a pretty handy maker in Sheridan (Dutch sounding last name). The semi trailer out back has the used. Forty of them - Dale Harwood, Kent Frecker, and others. It is like going to museum, but you can sit in 'em. We spent a few hours there. The devil is in the details. They also have a good book section, spurs, bits, and the usual assortment of silver jewelry. I can't have too many books, and she can't have too many earrings.

Great idea Bruce, when I went thru Sheridan while on vacation, I couldn't find anything except Kings. That was great, but I knew there were other places I would like to visit but couldn't find anything. I did find a leather craft store but it was closed when I got there.

SkipJ

Skip,

My travelogue for Sheridan,

1). King's Shop/museum - after the shop, go out the backdoor, across the alley and into the rope, saddleshop and museum. I have visted the museum twice before during show times. I have never felt rushed, but kind of kept moving. This last time I was there a few hours, and if I wanted to look at something for 10 minutes, I did.

2). Sheridan Leather Outfitters - Good selection of leathers. Stamping tools from a couple makers. Hand tools from several makers, new and used. Good selection of saddle hardware and finishes. Probably one of the best selections of using exotics of any single shop in the country. Saddle trees, but the demand usually outstrips the supply. Good people to deal with.

3). Barry King - Barry makes stamp tools, mauls, and handtools. Impressive machinery. He will give you the tour, and has a display area with most everything in stock and for sale. Another good guy to deal with.

4). Tom Balding's Bits and Spurs. - Handmaker of bits and spurs. I am biased here too. Last year we prearranged a spot for some custom spurs for my wife during the leather week. She went over there during her lunch break on Monday from her class and designed them. We picked them up on Thursday. They will gladly give you a tour. Probably would be glad to write up an order while you are there.

5). The Mint - local color and flavor. Neat bar, very cool backbar, and historic pictures on the wall behind you. The obligatory wildlife head mounts and snakeskins for decor. Happy hour(s) prices I am glad to report are still $3.25 for call drinks.