Casey Jordan

Spanish style patterns

Thought someone here could help out with this.

I have a customer who wants "Spanish Eligant" tooling pattern. They want a spanish style pattern, not a western floral pattern. Also looking for spanish style fonts for this project.

The project is a guest book for visitors of their house to write in and sign.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thought someone here could help out with this.

I have a customer who wants "Spanish Eligant" tooling pattern. They want a spanish style pattern, not a western floral pattern. Also looking for spanish style fonts for this project.

The project is a guest book for visitors of their house to write in and sign.

Any help would be appreciated.

I just did a quick search through my references for any examples of Spanish ornament, but it doesn't seem there has been much documentation of it, other than what was common during the time the Moors occupied Spain. Kind of a shame, since Spain has a very rich heritage of architectural and typographical ornament. Is "Eligant" known under any other names? Any idea what period it's from?

Kate

Hi Casey - I did a quick search and found these. They are textile references, but may help a little. If I find anything else, I'll let you know.

Plate # 14 on this one: http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/needlework/...ted-Part-3.html

http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/needlework/...ted-Part-2.html

I often think of Spanish style in ceramic tiles. Like here: http://www.arttile.com/

or here: http://www.powells.com/biblio?isbn=9780486417998

Crystal

Ask your customer for some examples. Digital photos, even from a cell phone, can help figure out what they mean. Pictures from catalogs, magazines, etc. can get you on the same page, so to speak.

Why? I had a custom wallet order that requested "Old style tattoo font" for the name. He couldn't describe the font, or point to it anywhere. I researched and found an old tattoo font, but what he really wanted was Old English. Didn't figure that out until after the wallet was done. He was happy with what I found though. So the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" really holds true.

Dave T.

Kate,

When they described what they wanted they said "Spanish Eligant" as their description.

I think it is their way of saying a "fancy" pattern. I don't think it is a specific style.

Crystal,

We are on the same track with the tile and textiles. I found a lot of spanish tile and some textile patterns. I also found some very nice ornate iron scroll work around doors and windows. The more I look I see a lot of vine and scroll work in a lot of their art work.

Just thought someone had done some spanish patterns before.

Thank both of you for your help! The embroidery pattern look interesting, might border the back with tiles.

I found a font that might inspire? (European Spanish style)

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/fontmesa/spanish-rose/

To me it looks like a cross between goth/neo goth and old victorian style. If you ever come across old spanish style lamps/chandeliers and such (Ebay), they're all black iron, or/and dark wood, crackled glass = gothic style.

Ask your customer for some examples. Digital photos, even from a cell phone, can help figure out what they mean. Pictures from catalogs, magazines, etc. can get you on the same page, so to speak.

Why? I had a custom wallet order that requested "Old style tattoo font" for the name. He couldn't describe the font, or point to it anywhere. I researched and found an old tattoo font, but what he really wanted was Old English. Didn't figure that out until after the wallet was done. He was happy with what I found though. So the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" really holds true.

Dave T.

Dave,

Very sound advice. I tryed to get them to send me a picture of what they want, but the problem is they really don't know. They want me to figure it out for them. I have done work for them before and they know my work, they said whatever I come up with will be great.

I will get the pattern drawn out and send them a picture of it to see if it will work for them.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it!

I found a font that might inspire? (European Spanish style)

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/fontmesa/spanish-rose/

To me it looks like a cross between goth/neo goth and old victorian style. If you ever come across old spanish style lamps/chandeliers and such (Ebay), they're all black iron, or/and dark wood, crackled glass = gothic style.

Well that's a home run! I like it and will probably use this one, might change it just a little.

The font search I was using doesen't have half the fonts this site has. Thanks for the help and showing me where to look for font from now on!!

Hello from Spain.

Actually the Spanish stile of carving do not exist any more. We inherited from the moorish sone technics of carving and embossing leather that we transfered to the mexicans leathercrafters, after it came to you ,that you converted in a variety of styles like Californian, Porter and Sheridan.

You can interpret this order as a floral clasical design as shown in various posts.Not so intricated as Sheridan Style. I am speaking about carving technics, not about embossing technics, that still exist in Spain in the way to reproduce the old classical moorish patterns. I hope it helps and excuse my bad english.

Pepin

Edited by pepin1948

Pepin1948,

Thanks for your input. I guess you answered the question as to why I was having a problem finding "Spanish" patterns. Thanks for posting the pictures also. I found some inverted patterns that I think will work pretty well, along with the fonts Tina found for me.

Thanks, Tina

If I had more time to get this done I could search for more.

I know what I will be doing the fourth of July!

An european spanish friend sents me the photos. The leatherframes and the bible cover are more than 80 years old.

leather_frame_01.jpg leather_frame_02.jpg leather_frame_03.jpg leather_frame_03_1.jpg leather_frame_04.jpg leather_frame_04_det.jpg leather_frame_05.jpg leather_frame_06.jpg leather_tobacco_02.jpg

post-10726-1246227808_thumb.jpg

post-10726-1246227881_thumb.jpg

post-10726-1246227896_thumb.jpg

post-10726-1246227946_thumb.jpg

post-10726-1246227959_thumb.jpg

post-10726-1246227977_thumb.jpg

post-10726-1246228030_thumb.jpg

post-10726-1246228043_thumb.jpg

post-10726-1246228070_thumb.jpg

Edited by buckle09

Pepin1948,

Thanks for your input. I guess you answered the question as to why I was having a problem finding "Spanish" patterns. Thanks for posting the pictures also. I found some inverted patterns that I think will work pretty well, along with the fonts Tina found for me.

Thanks, Tina

If I had more time to get this done I could search for more.

I know what I will be doing the fourth of July!

You're more than welcoe:-)

This project looks more and more interesting, please post up some pictures when it is made:-)

An european spanish friend sents me the photos. The leatherframes and the bible cover are more than 80 years old.

The more I look at these photos the more I see the Victorian scrolls in them...Type parts of this:

Victorian.jpg

post-5624-1246231565_thumb.jpg

1) see if you can find the book Spanish Leather by John W Waterer - I'd check for inter-library loan since it is out of print and VERY expensive.

He also includes some Spanish leather in his book Leather Craftsmanship

2) DO a search for Spanish Colonial leather and other goods

here's a pic of an early SC belt

87_2.jpg

I probably am not going the direction you are thinking, but I do want to sympathize with the search for Spanish designs. I found that there are a multitude of designs depending on region. I had a hard time locating examples.

My family would make fun of me when we were out at Mexican resteraunts, and I would be tracing designs off of tiles. However not all designs you see in a resteraunt are true examples.

I don't trust some of the patterns we see in modern leather books or some of those in holster pat books but that's personal problem of my oun.

Here is an example of one I found I think is from south or central America(I would enlarge the leaves a bit next time).

I like the looks of ChuckB's last example

I look forward to more examples, Good luck. GH

spanish_pat_strap.jpg

post-5156-1246286441_thumb.jpg

Casey,

Seeing these examples reminds me of a lot of gun engraving patterns.....as you are engraving now, I know you are familiar with those styles and some of the sites may have patterns that are more easily adaptable to a tooling pattern.......just thinking out loud, here....

Bob

Buckle09,

Thanks for the pictures, that is some nice work and well preserved for being that old.

Nice embossing on both examples.

Tina,

Thanks again, and you are right about the scroll work. That is what I think of when I hear "spanish style". I like the scroll picture you posted.

When she ordered it and asked for "Spanish Eligant" my thoughts are for a simple, dainty pattern that does not cover the whole piece. On the back I'm thinking of just a simple mexican tile border, pretty wide, with something to tie it to the front cover.

Chuck,

Thanks for your input, I will try to find that book you mentioned. Of course I will find the perfect pattern as soon as I get it finished. Nice old belt, nice braiding on it too.

Hidemechanic,

Don't let anyone give you crap about taking pattern off the tiles. I do this all the time with pillows, shower curtins, bed spreads, tiles, pots, wall paper....... even dollar bills have some nice patterns on them. I like the flower on your belt, and you are right, the leaves would look better a little larger.

Bob,

Your right about the gun engraving patterns, the picture Tina posted would be great for that. Most of that is pretty detailed, I'm trying to keep this one simple.

Your thinking out loud has helped before, and will again.

Personal note: Thanks for coming over and thinking out loud about how to finish my shop off. I think we have it figured out, just need time and money now.

Thanks to all of you for your help!!

Well I finished the binder, finally. Here's some pictures of what I come up with. A little different than my normal style, but fun to do something different.

The first picture of the first cover I finished. (Note to self: CHECK SPELLING, WRITE IT DOWN) I'll take responsibility for that one.

I sent the customer the first picture and she wanted to change the font to what they had on the house and fill in more tooling.

So the rest of the pictures are of the finished product.

It will be given as a gift tonight for a birthday present. Funny thing is the guy who will be receiving it tonight called today and ordered 6-7 to give to his family for christmas presents. And I will check spelling!!!

Let me know what ya think.

233.JPG

256.JPG

post-7801-1247264157_thumb.jpg

post-7801-1247264190_thumb.jpg

Edited by Casey Jordan

Sorry, I got a new laptop and still trying to figure it out. See if I can get the other pictures on this page.

257.JPG

261.JPG

post-7801-1247264668_thumb.jpg

post-7801-1247264718_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I got a new laptop and still trying to figure it out. See if I can get the other pictures on this page.

I lived in Spain for quite a while and am very fimiliar with this type of leather work. You may want to google the spanish leather museum, it is located about an hour out of Barcelona. I think you will enjoy looking at this and may get some ideas.

I would like to find some suppliers of leather craft items in Spain, so far no luck.

Regards, Bill

Cajun,

I will try looking the museum up. I had a limited time to get this one done and didn't have a lot of time to do research. Thanks for the information.

Buckle09,

Thanks for the comments!

It was kinda fun to try something a little different for a change. The tiles on the back turned out pretty cool.

I think it turned out great, Casey! After seeing your finished project, I want to throw out all those backgrounders I have. I really like how the tiles came out on the back, also. :thumbsup:

Everything looked spelled right to me! You don't need to spell check, you need the quote that hung in a customer service office I worked at eons ago.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,

but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!"

Great job!

Crystal

I think it turned out great, Casey! After seeing your finished project, I want to throw out all those backgrounders I have. I really like how the tiles came out on the back, also. :thumbsup:

Everything looked spelled right to me! You don't need to spell check, you need the quote that hung in a customer service office I worked at eons ago.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,

but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!"

Great job!

Crystal

Sure cuts down on tooling time doing the inverted carving.

I think I know what you are saying, but I could be hearing what I want you to say which is totally different than what you are saying. :wtf: