nmlvaio101

Need Help In Finding Good Quality Of Tools To Start Off With...

Hello, I am very new to the world of leather crafting. The things I would like to do mainly is dog collars and guitar straps for my non profit company. I would like some input in companies so I can get some quality leather tools. I was looking for something in between from poor quality and professional quality. From what I am hearing craftool is a hit and miss, I am just looking for good mallet, round knifes, slickers, stitch groovers, strap cutter (draw gauge), edge bevelers, pretty much all good wooden hand tools and any good books to point me in the right direction. On this forum, I came across some good articles of stamps artist and their quality. I just want a good basic stamp set so I can then build from. Any ideas?

Well, I would honestly suggest starting lower and then working your way up to the really good stuff.

You can get ahold of the folks at Springfield Leather for a lot of this stuff. As far as hand tools you, you'll get "decent" stuff from them. Meaning, they do the job and they do it well, but there's always room for an upgrade once you start making some cash :)

For edge slicking, I'd say head over to leatherburnishers.com. That's a shop owned by one of our members here and they make TOP QUALITY edge burnishers at a GREAT price!! They also make custom mauls too, but I'm going to stick with start cheap and treat yourself later on that one too. You can get a "decent" poly mallet from any of the retailers for a really inexpensive price. For a draw guage, just get the trusty wooden "Original Strap Cutter" - it will server you well and it is A LOT cheaper then a draw guage. If you want inexpensive stamps, there are a lot of vintage ones available at usedleathertools.com and they offer really good prices. Or, you can spend some money on Barry King. Springfield has a line of "sheridan" tools now that are actually from Craft Japan and they're really nice tools, prices are comparable to Barry's.

Springfield has a good selection of tools

I attend the free leatherworking classes at Tandy Leather Factory in Chattanooga, TN every Saturday so I get most of my tools ,Leather and hardware there since I get everything at wholesale.

I also make as many tools as I can to save money

I am very impressed with the new professional Crafttool stamps and swivel knifes from Tandy. a bit pricey to start out with

so if you dont belong to tandys wholesale club you should seriously consider shopping with Springfield for the best price

If you have a Tax ID number you can get your supplys wholesale from tandy or springfield.

Edited by St8LineGunsmith

Also, Springfield's wholesale club is only $30 for the first year, $25 after that. For that price they meet or beat any of Tandy's gold club/elite prices. I don't have a Tax ID, but I made up the cost of membership with the savings on my very first order.

http://springfieldleather.com/content/14/Wholesale/

Edited by Cyberthrasher

Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I am still doing research since I am still learning more and more from this site. I know the major of my beginner tools are going to come from os bourne from springfield and pick up some templetes from black river laser.